5 Speed Cassette

DylanMurphy
DylanMurphy Posts: 39
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
I've got a vintage Peugeot with a 5 Speed Freewheel. I am going to buy some aero carbon wheels (I know this isn't a good upgrade for a bike like this but why not) but they will require a cassette. There is no such thing as a 5-speed cassette so can I convert a higher speed cassette to a 5 speed by either using spacers or leaving out cassette rings? Or is there another option?

Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You will almost certainly need to re-set the dropout width if you fit modern hubs, they're not going to fit straight on otherwise.. I can't see the logic, myself....
  • Imposter wrote:
    You will almost certainly need to re-set the dropout width if you fit modern hubs, they're not going to fit straight on otherwise.. I can't see the logic, myself....

What can't you see the logic in?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Modifying/cold-setting a vintage frame just so you can fit deep sections. But each to their own...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Get the right hub and have the rim you want built onto it. You can have whatever you want that way.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Modifying/cold-setting a vintage frame just so you can fit deep sections. But each to their own...

I just chose this option as buying a new bike wasn't in my budget so this seems like a better alternative.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:

They are freewheels not cassettes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Get the right hub and have the rim you want built onto it. You can have whatever you want that way.

this. easiest thing to do and will probably work out cheapest.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

this. easiest thing to do and will probably work out cheapest.

Does the only the rear wheel need to be rebuilt? Can I just swap out the front wheel?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yup.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    CitizenLee wrote:

They are freewheels not cassettes

All of them?

Tbh, I just put "5 speed cassette" into the search and posted the results 8)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I assume the bike has friction downtube shifters? If so you are not limited to 5 speed as there is no indexing. The limiting factor is the mech capacity

A modern wheel won't accept an older - eg 5 speed freewheel/block.

You could fit an 8 speed cassette to the freehub of a modern wheel and providing the gear range doesn't exceed the capacity of the mech it would probably work if the limit screws can accommodate the wider cassette. If the limit screws don't allow this you could omit a sprocket or two and use additional cassette spacers to make up the space on the freehub instead, adjusting the chainline at the cassette with the spacers for optimal fit.

Then you'd just need to cold-set the dropouts.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D