Making it fit

Pedro872
Pedro872 Posts: 67
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

A friend of mine is selling a Cube Attain GTC pro disc in a size 58 the problem is I’m 5’10 and usually ride a 54-56. I know Cubes tend to run on the small side but is this a bridge too far in thinking I could make this fit with a shorter stem etc?

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Pedro872 wrote:
    Hi,

A friend of mine is selling a Cube Attain GTC pro disc in a size 58 the problem is I’m 5’10 and usually ride a 54-56. I know Cubes tend to run on the small side but is this a bridge too far in thinking I could make this fit with a shorter stem etc?
    Why don't you just try it? If he's a mate surely it's not a problem?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Pedro872 wrote:
    Hi,

Nothing is a bargain if you have to mess about getting it to fit.

Looking at the Cube website the 58 has a horizontal top tube of 575mm. I think that might prove to be too big to compensate for with a shorter stem.

Try riding it by all means to see how it feels with the current stem - then decide if it could work with a shorter stem
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    or as above but actually try it with a shorter stem.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I come from an era of bigger frames and less seat post than is common now. There are a miriad of size adjustable bits which you could change to make a modern 58 cm frame fit you more comfortably. Stems bars and crank arms to mention but a few.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I come from an era of bigger frames and less seat post than is common now. There are a miriad of size adjustable bits which you could change to make a modern 58 cm frame fit you more comfortably. Stems bars and crank arms to mention but a few.

Changing crank arms to ride a bike that doesn't fit you is a phenomenally stupid idea.
  • Pedro872
    Thanks for the reply’s I will be taking it out for a test ride or two but thought I would actually ask if it’s worth it before I do. He’ll let me have it at a really good price and it would be a new winter bike for me.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    only by riding it can you decide if it fits you.

personally i'd borrow it for a long weekend and get some decent rides in to see if it gives you the next day crippled feeling that a wrong sized bike does .....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I was considering a cube agree earlier a few months back - the size for my height (5 7) came with a 560 top tube - where as I usually look for 535-540 .....so it might not be that far out. Remember it can be the angles as well as the mm !
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    At 5ft10" a 58cm Attain GTC is too big.

Trying to make it fit has a slight chance of working, but I doubt any 5ft10" person has been sold a 58 Attain GTC unless they've been poorly advised or simply bought the wrong size for some other reason.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
      I'm 178cm (5'10") and my Cube is the 58cm, fits me great.

However, I have short legs (~83cm cycling inseam) and a long torso compared to many for this height.

BB to saddle top 73cm
      Replacement Fabric saddle slightly rear of rail centre (saddle tip to bar top centre 53.5cm)
      Negative position of default 110mm stem, 25mm of spacers under stem (which I could decrease by at least 15mm, extending reach but still be comfy)

https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-ra ... hred-2016/

The geometry does not change that much between a 56cm and 58cm, reach increases by 3mm and stack increases by 19mm... Which helps my weak lower back.
      ================
      2020 Voodoo Marasa
      2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
      2016 Voodoo Wazoo
    • Pedro872
      So I've now got the bike for a couple of weeks while my mate has gone on holiday and had my first ride on it yesterday (48miles). Initially it felt quite big but I soon got used to it and it was fine no aches or pains due to overstretching/reaching so it looks like I now have a new winter bike! :)

I took measurements from the Cube and compared them to my Orro Gold which is a 55 and they were pretty much the same so it would appear that Cube's do run small, something to think about if your in the market for a Cube.

Cheers,

Pedro.
    • craigus89
      craigus89 Posts: 887
      They do, I am 6,0ft and ride a 60cm.
    • DeVlaeminck
      DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
      It's short reach high stack geometry by the look of the figures so if you wanted a tall front end the reach is probably not going to be unreasonable.
      [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]