Getting with the 21st century.

BikerGroveish
BikerGroveish Posts: 183
edited July 2018 in Road general
I’m not usually very good with very techy stuff but on the recommendation of a friend I bought myself a Garmin Edge 1030. It came with some clever inertial sensors for speed and cadence sensing and a heart rate monitor. I’ve been giving it a trial run today and it’s been quite an interesting thing to have. Previously I’ve always used feelings or gut instincts to gauge when I’ve been riding at the right intensity to do a ride as efficiently as possible. It was quite nice to see that what I thought was about 90 rpms for best peddling efficiency was more or less right and that my heart rate was what I’d been guessing it was give or take a few bpm. I like the look of the power meter screen it has. Maybe I’ll really push the boat out and get some pedal based power meters next. It seems like there’s more for me to learn about this gadget. If anyone else has one and knows of anything I can set on it that they think I may find useful feel free to post about it. All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    They have become better in the sense that they give you a lot more information and they talk to your phone and other devices...

At the same time, their main function, which is that of telling you where you are and how to get to X and record all the data points in between has got worse.

A bit like phones... they are still called phones, but the phone function hasn't improved much or at all over the past 20 years.

The vast majority of folks who need to rely on a GPS stay well away from the latest Garmin offers... Etrex 30 is still incredibly popular among those who NEED a GPS
    left the forum March 2023
  • I haven’t got as far as using it to do navigation or anything like that yet I think I prefer an O.S. map and road signs for that.