2nd hand giant vs Carrera Vanquish

BilboBike
BilboBike Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
I am looking at getting my first road bike and the Carrera Vanquish at Halfords uk looks reasonable for the price. £300

However looking in the local classifieds there is a Giant Defy 2 July 2016 £350 but it is an M 5"8' to 5"'11

So my question is would the Carrera be as good as the giant and is it likely the Giant may be to small for me, I am 5"11 (well 181 cm) 32" from my groin to the bottom of my heel.

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the Giant will be the better bike but will it fit....? it might be a little small for you. the fit of the bike is the most important thing.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • BilboBike
    BilboBike Posts: 5
    Thank you, but nowhere near Hemel
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Giant. I think a Medium would be fine. You can always add a longer stem if needed.
  • Can’t comment on the Vanquish, but I do have a 2016 Defy 0 in M and am 5’10. Sounds like your extra length over me is in your legs so I suspect you’ll be fine on the Defy once the saddle has gone up a bit to accommodate. Both my son and I ride the 2016 Defys and are very happy with them. As said above you still then have the option of a longer stem.
  • The defy went unfortunately so now looking at a new Giant content 2 maybe or may be stretch to

Orbea H40 2018 on sale or
    BTWIN 520

What are the thoughts on these?
  • Orbea it is I think, only I cant see ANY reviews anywhere so its a risk.
  • The Decathlon bikes are always a great choice if you're working to a budget, but the Orbea comes with a Tiagra groupset (except the brakes) which is well worth the extra cash over the Sora on the Triban.