Accessories for Specialized Roubaix Comp

russweb1
russweb1 Posts: 9
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Accessories for Specialized Roubaix Comp
Postby russweb1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 13:57 pm

Hi everyone

I've just ordered a Roubaix comp in sunburst red and it's time to add lights, a phone mount, bottle cages and tube/seat bag without ruining a lovely looking bike.

I don't want to spend silly money but for once, I don't want to scrimp either. The bike is replacing my 10 year old Roubaix and I've test ridden the model below (elite) so am confident in my choice.
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... _12182.jpg

I'd love to hear your suggestions

Thanks
Russell

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd not bother with the phone. Keep it in your jersey. Everything else sounds sensible though.
  • russweb1
    Fenix wrote:
    I'd not bother with the phone. Keep it in your jersey. Everything else sounds sensible though.

Thanks Fenix - what cages & lights would you go for?

Russell
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    What's your budget for lights and are they just to be seen, or to see?

For commuting I use a Knog Blinder R70 rear and Lezyne Zecto Drive 250 front which are more than adequate for my route (both USB too, which saves on batteries)... but for proper night rides you may want something brighter.

As for cages, something carbon and minimal would be my choice if I used cages (I only do roads for work, and my commute is too short to worry about hydration).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I added a swat box instead of a seat bag, and a USB rechargeable tail light- hot shot pro 150 that's visible in day light. I think I have cinelli cages? I have the elite model.

Also swapped out wheels for Stan's Avion Pro's and took 1.5lb off my wheels compared to the DT R470DB's, and stock cranks for Easton EC90 SL's and took nearly another pound off.
  • russweb1
    CitizenLee wrote:

For commuting I use a Knog Blinder R70 rear and Lezyne Zecto Drive 250 front which are more than adequate for my route (both USB too, which saves on batteries)... but for proper night rides you may want something brighter.

As for cages, something carbon and minimal would be my choice if I used cages (I only do roads for work, and my commute is too short to worry about hydration).

The route I'm likely to do isn't long but is dark, so probably need to see, was thinking about Specialized Elite : £30 each for front & back, USB rechargeable.

Was thinking about Zee left and right for cages.

I'll have a google of your light choices

Thanks

Russell
  • russweb1
    I added a swat box instead of a seat bag, and a USB rechargeable tail light- hot shot pro 150 that's visible in day light. I think I have cinelli cages? I have the elite model.

Also swapped out wheels for Stan's Avion Pro's and took 1.5lb off my wheels compared to the DT R470DB's, and stock cranks for Easton EC90 SL's and took nearly another pound off.

Can you get the SWAT for less than £80 - I like the way you can do without a normal bag, but they seem a bit of a rip-off for a little bit of plastic...

Says the man who claims he isn't going to scrimp
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    russweb1 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

The route I'm likely to do isn't long but is dark, so probably need to see, was thinking about Specialized Elite : £30 each for front & back, USB rechargeable.

Thanks

Russell

Check the reviews of the Spesh lights first, if it's the same ones I was considering then you may be better off with something else. The Lezyne Zecto Drives also come in a Pro version, which have moar lumens ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've got Tacx Tao cages on my bikes. Cheap and light and hold bottles.

As to lights - depends what you want them for. A bike light to see with is a lot different from a flashy light to make you more obvious on the road.
  • russweb1 wrote:
    I added a swat box instead of a seat bag, and a USB rechargeable tail light- hot shot pro 150 that's visible in day light. I think I have cinelli cages? I have the elite model.

Can you get the SWAT for less than £80 - I like the way you can do without a normal bag, but they seem a bit of a rip-off for a little bit of plastic...

Says the man who claims he isn't going to scrimp

I get a pretty good shop deal but I think I paid $60. If you can find just the box I think it's quite a bit cheaper. You probably already have the lever, co2 head, etc.
  • russweb1
    CitizenLee wrote:
    russweb1 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Thanks

Russell

Check the reviews of the Spesh lights first, if it's the same ones I was considering then you may be better off with something else. The Lezyne Zecto Drives also come in a Pro version, which have moar lumens ;)

Thanks the Zecto looks decent...