Mountain Biking Buddy

Extremicus
Extremicus Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in MTB beginners
At the risk of criticism from some people, I would like to request if there are any MTBers out there willing to buddy up?

I am literally JUST getting into MTBing, and wondering if there are any other beginners wanting to buddy up or even seasoned MTBers willing to buddy up/help learn the ropes.

I am based in Sheffield but do have a car so can travel a reasonable way.

Thanks

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Extremicus wrote:
    At the risk of criticism from some people, I would like to request if there are any MTBers out there willing to buddy up?

I am literally JUST getting into MTBing, and wondering if there are any other beginners wanting to buddy up or even seasoned MTBers willing to buddy up/help learn the ropes.

Thanks
    Where are you based?
    There was a ride organised here: viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=13092190 not sure if any further ones are planned.
    Also check Facebook for any local MTB groups.

If you don't find anyone, start at trail centres and work your way up from the easiest trails (green > blue > red > black). At busy trail centres, there will be plenty of people to help if you get into any serious difficulties.
    You will fall off/crash at some point, don't worry, just move on, practice makes perfect :D
  • Extremicus wrote:

Thanks
    Where are you based?
    There was a ride organised here: viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=13092190 not sure if any further ones are planned.
    Also check Facebook for any local MTB groups.

If you don't find anyone, start at trail centres and work your way up from the easiest trails (green > blue > red > black). At busy trail centres, there will be plenty of people to help if you get into any serious difficulties.
    You will fall off/crash at some point, don't worry, just move on, practice makes perfect :D

I am based in Sheffield, original post edited to detail that.

Thanks for the advice :D
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    If you're on Facebook, look up Coggers. Mainly Sheffield based folk who ride loads of Peaks and surrounding area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coggers/?ref=br_rs

Broad range of skills/experience and the members arrange rides literally every day. Very informal and rides to suits all abilities.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Extremicus wrote:

I am based in Sheffield but do have a car so can travel a reasonable way.

Thanks

I can't think why someone would criticise you for reaching out; well I sure hope they wouldn't!

If you are that new to mtb, even if you have been riding a bike for years, I would strongly suggest that you attend an Introductory MTB skills course. There are so many simple yet subtle things you can learn that will save you a lot of grief and pain, oh and scars, don't forget the scars!
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    Notts MTB Outlaws (Facebook Group) are also a really friendly bunch and do rides in various places and to suit all abilities.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • Thank you all so much for the replies I really appreciate it.

Hopefully I will see you out their some time (preferably when I have gained some skills to show off) :D
  • Stoatally
    Stoatally Posts: 9
    The advice to attend a course is so very right. I’m new to mtb riding and do most of mine at Cannock Chase, but I have ridden Road bikes a lot.

I did a days 1:1 mtb course and picked up loads. Different riding style from road so really glad I did it.