XSmall bib shorts with proper length legs?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
ppp

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    As a very skinny but kind of average height person (50kg / 5'9'') I'm getting a bit cheesed off with buying XSmall shorts that look great off the bike but transform into hot pants two minutes into the first ride.....

Any suggestions for decent leg lengths on small sizes?

I've tried Mavic Cosmic Pro and Endura FS260-Pro SL (Extra long!) recently and both are terrible. To be fair, a lot of people on here already mentioned how comical the Endura are.

To complicate things, I naturally prefer a bargain, picking the above up for around £50 each so not sure I could run to perfect length Assos at £250, however nice.

What are Rapha Pro Team I (not the newer version) like?

I'm quite surprised by that - I am 5ft 10, with a 34" inseam, and the XS shorts in regular are VERY short, and are confined to turbo duties, but the long leg ones I use regularly for actual riding.
    Could the problem be more that the leg grippers are simply not cmpressive enough, and they ride up once you start riding?

As you are 12kg lighter than me, I wonder if that might be the case.

If you do need smaller, perhaps you need to look at some pro kit, which generally tends to size up smaller than might ordinarily be the case, however it is unusual to get a real bargain on it :-(

From reading other reviews on the pro team shorts (From the bargains spotted thread a few weeks ago) it sounded to me like they were shorter than I would like, so I suspect even more so for you.

La Passione are reasonably long, and can on occasion, if you get end of line, discount codes etc, be picked up for less than £50 - that does take a bit of luck though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Try some bigger sizes on and if you can find a set that fit OK in the leg but the straps are too long get the bib straps taken in by a seamstress? I've got a couple of pairs where I've had to do the opposite and have material added to the straps as they fitted perfect on the legs but the straps were too tight resulting in man wedgie.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    Daniel B wrote:
    Could the problem be more that the leg grippers are simply not cmpressive enough, and they ride up once you start riding?

As you are 12kg lighter than me, I wonder if that might be the case.

That's an interesting thought. I do have very very puny legs so maybe vice like grippers would solve the problem instead. The Endura do feel nice and snug though.

Maybe child size 3/4 lengths....

I have puny legs too!

Just measured around my right thigh, approx where I think the gripper would end up, and I make it around 44cm.

All my shorts are nice and snug though, I've had to size down on most of them, as my torso is short, so the straps are too long otherwise.
    I always roll the grippers up so they are not umm gripping, do the Kiwi rugby dance thing to get them on properly, then roll the grippers down - Does everyone do this?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • What are Rapha Pro Team I (not the newer version) like?

If you get the long length they will be fine, the regular length and you will have the same issue.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    Try some Wiggle dhb shorts. I've just ordered (and returned) some dhb Classic Bib Shorts in size Medium.

I have quite slim, puny legs and they measure about 44cm circumference where the gripper sits. I could barely get size Medium over my thighs! Ordered a pair of Large dhb Aeron Bib Shorts and these too are going back as they are far too snug on the legs and glutes. I'm really not big (6ft and 75kgs) but Wiggle sizing it out of the window at the moment!

Worth a try as returns are free.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    La Passione PSN are long in the leg size for size against Rapha (large in both, so it might apply across other sizes)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Pactimo Summit Raptors in long leg length. On sale at the moment too. Definitely longer in the leg than Rapha Pro Team (I have both).
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    I'm a lot taller than you, but still have the same problem. Best brand I've found is Lusso, whose grippers actually seem to grip. These are only £40 and are the best I've tried, and I've tried almost everything.

https://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-aero ... 92028.html

They actually look different (and a lot smarter imo) to the picture - being all black with just a small silver/white badge.