Cassette change

nick67
nick67 Posts: 111
edited July 2018 in Workshop
I changed my 105 12-27 cassette to a 105 11-28 cassette.

Last night it felt like the bearings had gone or something,is there something I've done wrong, no other changes to the bike other than 25mm tyres fitted

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    nick67 wrote:

Last night it felt like the bearings had gone or something,is there something I've done wrong, no other changes to the bike other than 25mm tyres fitted

Several questions to answer that may help with an educated response.
    Were you replacing an old cassette with a new one? If so how old/ how many miles had the old cassette done.

Did you check your chain for wear and replace it or keep the existing chain?

What makes you think the bearings have gone ie what symptoms are you experiencing.

Did you ensure that the lock ring was properly threaded and torqued to the right level.

Over to you
  • nick67
    arlowood wrote:

Several questions to answer that may help with an educated response.
    Were you replacing an old cassette with a new one? If so how old/ how many miles had the old cassette done.
    It's about 5 years old and done maybe 3k
    Did you check your chain for wear and replace it or keep the existing chain?
    Checked but not worn
    What makes you think the bearings have gone ie what symptoms are you experiencing.
    Have a weird 'clunk' when pedaling
    Did you ensure that the lock ring was properly threaded and torqued to the right level.
    I believe I've tightened it up correctly will check, might remove and start again
    Over to you

Thanks for any help
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did you adjust the b-screw? the upper jockey wheel may be fouling the teeth on the cassette. will only happen in the biggest few sprockets though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nick67
    The Rookie wrote:
    Did you adjust the b-screw? the upper jockey wheel may be fouling the teeth on the cassette. will only happen in the biggest few sprockets though.
    I didn't but the feeling appears across the range, it is felt through the pedals, hence the bearing comment
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Having made this mistake a couple of times myself, is the chain threaded correctly through the rear derailleur cage?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • nick67
    laurentian wrote:
    Having made this mistake a couple of times myself, is the chain threaded correctly through the rear derailleur cage?
    yes
  • nick67
    Just being trying again, the cassette seems to have play when the wheel is laying flat. I notice there is a single ring on the inner side of gog 28t should that be used or not?
  • nick67 wrote:
    Just being trying again, the cassette seems to have play when the wheel is laying flat. I notice there is a single ring on the inner side of gog 28t should that be used or not?
    If youre referring to the spacer it should be used or you won’t be able to tighten the cassette down with the lock ring and the two smallest sprockets will be stuck together.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    nick67 wrote:

You have fitted a replacement cassette with the same number of cogs eg 10 or 11?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What's it like if you put the old cassette back on? Are the 2 cassettes identical other than number of teeth?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nick67
    Both cogs are 105 10 speed

I haven’t got a torque wrench that goes to 30/40 but have done it as tight as I could
  • nick67
    I’ve ordered a new chain and will report back tomorrow

Thanks for all the help and suggestions
  • nick67
    I've just received the new chain Shimano CN 6701, 116L, it would appear 4 links longer than the existing one, do I use the existing length as a guide or is there another/better way
  • nick67 wrote:
    I've just received the new chain Shimano CN 6701, 116L, it would appear 4 links longer than the existing one, do I use the existing length as a guide or is there another/better way
    Use your current chain to gauge the length. Adjust the new one by removing excess links unless you’re planning on going for vastly different sized sprockets than the ones on the original cassette. Then adjust the angle of dangle with the B screw to fine tune it.
  • nick67
    Thanks
    Have now put the new chain on ready for the morning run