2017 Boardman CX Team

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited July 2018 in Cyclocross
Asked this on the thread in Commuting Chat, but it's probably best asked here, so:

Seriously thinking of buying an entry level CX bike for the coming CX season, and also as a general winter hack/commuter. Scouring eBay for second hand bikes and there's a few Cannondale CAADX that look decent, but in my price range all are equipped with mechanical disc brakes. I like the idea of hydraulic discs and 1x11 drive train. Halfords have a few 2017 Boardman CX Team bikes left over, look like decent spec, 1x11 Rival, hydraulic brakes. Good price too (with BC discount).

However, I’m a bit concerned about sizing. I’m 5’8” (centre B.B. to saddle top measurement 720mm) and my other bikes all have top tubes of around the 54cm mark, whereas the 53cm Boardman, recommended for my height, has a virtual top tube of 55.5 cm. Seems very long to me, but maybe CX bikes have weird geometry anyway (raised BB, different fork rake?)

Halfords are going to put it together (!) next Friday for me to try, but in the mean time .............. 5’8” riders, what size bikes are you riding?

And is the 1x11 much of a handicap if using with different wheels in road configuration?

Comments

• proto
    PS also looking at Planet X XLA range, look great but mechanical disc in my price range.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    Boardman bikes have long top tubes particularly for small sizes . Halfords never seem to stock small . It’s usually a few days
    . Same height as you and it’s a killer height 5ft 8 as you’re too big for stock smalls without changing stems and too small for mediums without changing stems etc
    Id go for the small and ask them to put a longer stem on .
    I ride both small and mediums in bikes . Sometimes the smalls have very small head tube lengths which is ok if your flexibility is good but not so good if your as stiff as an ironing board .
    I think you would get away with the small if its a cx bike though
  • proto
    Thanks for replies. Sadly, only size available is 53cm.

How about buying the 53cm for the parts and fitting them to a PX XLA (S), and selling the Boardman frame on?

(Grrr Boardman is PF30 BB and the PX is BSA threaded, so I'd be into a new chainset straightaway :( )
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    proto wrote:
    Thanks for replies. Sadly, only size available is 53cm.

How about buying the 53cm for the parts and fitting them to a PX XLA (S), and selling the Boardman frame on?

(Grrr Boardman is PF30 BB and the PX is BSA threaded, so I'd be into a new chainset straightaway :( )

Too much work , if you like it and the stand over is ok etc , the medium will fit you with a shorter stem say 90mm . Any shorter and I’d move on to another bike
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I'm 5'6" and have a 2015 CX Comp size 53cm and it fits me fine and feels smaller than my 52cm Canyon Ultimate CF if that's any help?
  • proto
    Grrrrrrr. Was told bike was assembled ready for view. So went to Aylesbury, staff claim to know nothing about it.

“We’ve got one somewhere in the back, built up, but it’s not a 53”

They wheel it out it’s an XL. They confirm they don’t have a 53 built or still boxed. I decide to call it a day and go home.
  • proto
    I’ve bought a CX Team, size 50, from eBay. Barely used, 11 months old. Decent price at £650 so I’m good to go.
    Central CX league watch out :shock: