Leeds road clubs

gingerflash1975
gingerflash1975 Posts: 49
edited July 2018 in Road general
Hi

I live in North Leeds (Alwoodley) and have been riding on my own for years. I'd like to join a club, to ride with maybe every other week. Who should I try?

Ideally Saturday morning, 60-80 miles in the hills at 17-20mph, back by lunchtime, smallish group.
Is there a club or group ride that fits that description?

I've tried a few but found them not to be right for me, either c13mph, or spending all day doing 60 miles, by stopping on every hill, 2 hours in the cafe etc. Some seem to go out in absolutely massive groups, maybe 50+, which doesn't really appeal to me.

Anyone know of a group that might suit me a bit better?

Thanks.

Comments

• mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Not that I know much about them but Seacroft Wheelers or Valley Striders? I'm from York and we have a couple of clubs that offer what you are looking for. Clifton CC 8:45am ride and VC York 9am Rivet ride. York Cycleworks have a Saturday morning social ride that is non stop but 50-60 miles, sometimes quick sometimes not as depends who is out.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    AlbaRosa?
  • I can recommend Alba Rosa as a club, but they don't do fast rides on a Saturday.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    I can recommend Alba Rosa as a club, but they don't do fast rides on a Saturday.

There is usually a training ride every Saturday even through Winter. Distance varies depending on session, typically 50 miles plus or minus a bit. Average between 17 and 22 I would estimate.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Not Leeds but Wetherby Wheelers have a Saturday morning ride, used to be a new member ride but now a faster group with rides between 40-60miles on a Saturday morning, back for 1ish. Varying pace but often 17-20mph depending on who is out and terrain.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2018
    Hi
    Ideally Saturday morning, 60-80 miles in the hills at 17-20mph, back by lunchtime, smallish group.
    Is there a club or group ride that fits that description?

The Clifton CC 8.45 group is exactly that but it is 30 minutes by car away. Still, you might get to ride some new roads? :)

Otherwise have you looked at Otley or Ilkley CC?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Alba Rosa, Valley Striders or Airedale Olympic. I'm a member of the latter and the club has been in existence for decades. Alba Rosa and Valley Striders seem to take themselves terribly seriously but all are worth trying. All have various paced rides and certainly Airedale do Saturday rides that fit your requirements.

We (Airedale) also have the advantage of by far the most tasteful kit in Leeds. But Alba is fine if you like pink!

http://www.airedaleolympic.co.uk/ (also on Facebook).
    Faster than a tent.......