Riding in Nottingham area

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited July 2018 in Road general
Hi
We have just booked a lodge here https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/lodges/redb ... odges-redl
I have no idea of the area and would like to ride a couple of hours a day.
Does any one live around here an can point me in the right direction so to speak ?
regards
ILG

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    You are right next to Sherwood Pines which has some trails. Very family friendly if this helps.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Thanks for the replies chaps , some helpful some may be not.
    Regards
    ILG
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Have a look at this sportive map, I am not sure how far it is from Edwinstowe
    https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/event ... -sportive/
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    HI, I hope I’m not too late for this, I’m local so can point you in the right direction.

As said above for trails you’ve got Sherwood pines very close with a range of bits you can do on a MTB. They hire bikes as well.

On the road it depends, there’s loads of good routes round where you are and if you head towards Oxton, Calverton and Lowdham there’s some good mixes of villages, flat roads and some decent climbs (especially out of woodborough up to Mapperley) I hope the weather stays good for you
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes basically look at a map and head for the less dense road network to the East where you'll find some nice lanes. The Notts-Derby mining belt which you'll be on the edge of has some good undulating training roads but it's not super scenic and it's quite urban so if you don't know the best routes maybe not so good. Maybe bias but Notts isn't the best county for cycling. Unfortunately it'd be a longish ride to get to the Derbyshire hills.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Yes basically look at a map and head for the less dense road network to the East where you'll find some nice lanes. The Notts-Derby mining belt which you'll be on the edge of has some good undulating training roads but it's not super scenic and it's quite urban so if you don't know the best routes maybe not so good. Maybe bias but Notts isn't the best county for cycling. Unfortunately it'd be a longish ride to get to the Derbyshire hills.

From where you are staying, it's a 35-40 minute car journey to Matlock, whilst the area you are in has some nice roads, including clumber park I'd stick the bike in the car and head over the border. I'm originally from Edwinstowe, about a mile from your accomodation but live about 7 miles from Matlock. If you want hills, head to Derbyshire, if you want flat / undulating then head east.

If you park up in Matlock you've got Bank Road and Riber in town, you've also got Rowlsey Bar and Beeley within 10 minutes, Chatsworth / Bakewell another 10 minutes or some from them.