Hope RS4 hubs query

freefall_junkie
freefall_junkie Posts: 123
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
I am considering ordering a pair of hand built wheels to replace the heavy Shimano ones which came on my Focus Paralane and am wondering which hubs to go for - year round all weather use, mostly road, some gravel. Hope RS4s seem to be well regarded for quality/durability and ease of servicing without breaking the bank, but Hope MTB hubs also seem to have reputation for having a very loud freehub ratchet which is a concern as I like a quiet life :) . I am running Fulcrum Racing Ones on my other bike which are kinda medium loud. Can anyone comment on the RS4s in this regard? Or are there any other spline disc hubs at a similar price I should consider? Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have RS4, they are fantastic... I've done around 8k miles and the bearings are like new... I service the freehub periodically, which takes 5 minutes and that's all the maintenance I do.

Yes, the freehub is loud, but not as loud as the older MTB 2 series... does it bother me? Not the slightest and it's quite handy to alert pedestrians that you are approaching, not having a bell.

If freehub noise bothers you, the solution is to pedal more, surely? Good quality freehubs are noisy, the quiet ones are typically shoot
    left the forum March 2023
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I have 2 bikes with them and use them throughout winter. Never had a moments problem - bearings smooth as butter still.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Thanks guys, RS4s it is then. Now, just need to find a good wheel builder...
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Thanks guys, RS4s it is then. Now, just need to find a good wheel builder...

That would be Ugo...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    FatTed wrote:
    That would be Ugo...

No... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Not sure what budget you have in mind but Moonglu offer RS4 based wheelsets starting at £480

https://www.moonglu.com/collections/han ... isc-wheels

Had a set of Moonglu built wheels a year or so back and they were excellent so I can recommend them
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Hope are great, had zero issues with my RS4'4. Wheelsmith.co.uk is normally my go-to, strada also seem like good guys but I've only ever spoken to, yet to order from.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    I've not looked in the last ~6 weeks, but there were some very good looking price deals at CRC for Custom Hope wheels using the RS4 hubs, especially once you use BC discount.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • arlowood wrote:

Not sure what budget you have in mind but Moonglu offer RS4 based wheelsets starting at £480

https://www.moonglu.com/collections/han ... isc-wheels

Had a set of Moonglu built wheels a year or so back and they were excellent so I can recommend them

Thanks, Moonglu look a good option. Quite like to find a good builder near me in the Edinburgh area if pos