TDF 2018 - Rest Day 1 - ****SPOILERS****

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
edited July 2018 in Pro race
So, first week done.
Flat, flat....endless flat...HILLS! MUR! Flat, flat, COBBLES!

What's up for discussion?
The daft bonus seconds, of no use at all to the sprinters due to the TTT?
Cobbles in GTs yay/nay?
Time gaps through crashes, riders in form, Thomas V Froome, Movistar Hunger Games?
Is Cav finished?
Drafting team cars V drafting motos?

Who has come out of the first week in good shape and with a decent team still rubber side down?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Yes this feels like the least GC form revealing opening 9 days in memory.

It's a very back loaded Tour in terms of parcours, so very hard to tell.

Have been surprised by how expensive the first 9 days has been. So many badly timed mechanicals.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Yeah the first week hasn't been selective at all, but with all the stress for GC riders it still feels like a classic first week of the tour. Finally some hills to tackle on Tuesday before it all kicks off again Weds. Can't wait
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    iainf72 wrote:
    GC times relative to Froome

2 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky - 59 secs
    4 Bob Jungels (Lux) Quick-Step Floors -52 secs
    5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team -11 secs
    6 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe -10 secs
    7 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team -9 secs
    8 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky
    9 Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott
    10 Mikel Landa (Spa) Movistar Team
    12 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida +6
    13 Primoz Roglic (Slo) LottoNL-Jumbo +15
    14 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo +16
    15 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb +21
    16 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo +23
    17 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale +50
    18 Warren Barguil (Fra) Fortuneo-Samsic +55
    19 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin +60
    20 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida +66
    21 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team +68
    22 Rigoberto Uran (Col) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale +71
    24 Daniel Martin (Irl) UAE Team Emirates +100

So in summary, all the actual GC contenders are already behind Froome.

:lol:

Depends what you mean by GC contenders I suppose.

If you narrow it to likely winners well that's just Froome if we're honest.

Guys with a legitimate crack at the podium, I'd have thought Jungels, Thomas and Valverde all fall into that category.

Interesting to compare expectations with results, who's up and who's down.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • How Sky play the Froome/Thomas bit will be interesting, but yeah, other than that you have to say Froome is in a very good position there.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    i thought it had been attritional but laregly uninspiring until yesterday, and then a rest day AGGHHHHHH
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    A nondescript stage one route caused more problems in the GC ranks that the "brutal carnage" of stage 9.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Landa is doing ok. Only missed the podium by 1sec last year and he could finish higher than either Uran or Bardet from here.

Wouldn't rely on Movistar's "3 Amigos" working in his favour though.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    The first week.

giphy.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Can hardly believe Porte is out already. Somebody should really get his bone density checked out as he seems to be as frail as a 75 yr old woman. No offence intended but his bones seem to fracture in a stiff breeze
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    The cobbles were good but I was disappointed they didn’t produce a showdown between the GC guys. Dumoulin and Froome each had a go but their attacks were half-hearted and short-lived. No-one else tried to my knowledge.

The French TV commentators talked about Froome’s “lack of elegance” in driving hard while Bardet was chasing on for about the third time. Maybe Froome didn’t have the heart to provoke more of that sort of commentary. Dumoulin is a media darling so can get away with a lot more in the “lack of elegance” department, but he complained of a headwind.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    froomes an elegant rider said no one ever....
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    To their credit, they weren’t talking about how he looks on a bike …
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Frome the Stage 9 thread
    Milton50 wrote:
    I always get the feeling that Thomas hasn't got the ruthlessness to be a champion in his own right. He's such a solid, down to earth bloke. Great team mate no doubt but when push comes to shove I don't think he will take his chance.

Do we think it's going to come to pushing and shoving?

I see Sky playing the "two leaders"/ "leader plus plan B protected rider" card a good while longer - barring major time loss anywhere. Froome can attack and Thomas can mark wheels. If the gap is reversed, then Thomas can do the attacking.

I don't see Sky needing to force the issue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Frome the Stage 9 thread
    Milton50 wrote:
    I always get the feeling that Thomas hasn't got the ruthlessness to be a champion in his own right. He's such a solid, down to earth bloke. Great team mate no doubt but when push comes to shove I don't think he will take his chance.

Only if Moscon takes sides.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    From INRNG
    Ag2r La Mondiale's Alexis Vuillermoz abandons the Tour, team down to six riders now. A spectator stepped into the road yesterday to take a photograph and he crashed, breaking his shoulder blade

Hope not a sign of things to come in the mountains.

F'idiots!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    By my reckoning - quickly scanning through Pro Cycling Stats and taking off Vuillermoz

AG2R & Katusha down to 6

Sunweb, Movistar, BMC, Astana, Lotto and Trek are on 7

Everyone else still with 8
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Pross wrote:
    Frome the Stage 9 thread
    Milton50 wrote:

Only if Moscon takes sides.
    :lol:
    Chapeau.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    i think its a fair test for the best all rounder... individual and team.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    big blow for bardet....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I find it amazing that anyone gives credance to the whole Sky "dual leadership" nonsense. The only reason Thomas is being touted as a leader is because it was looking at one point as if Froome was going to be excluded from riding in the Tour. I'm sure in Dave Brailsford's mind there is only one leader of the team and that's where all the effort will be focussed at the appropriate time.

I'm also sure G himself doesn't even really believe he can hold onto Froome's shirt tails when push comes to shove.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    Team Sky will have data on how fast each of them is capable of going up whatever climbs etc. and I'd reckon Thomas can never really stay with Froome, so it's all just smoke and mirrors.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    I want Movistar to treat each mountain day like Quick Step treat one day cobbled races.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    How Sky play the Froome/Thomas bit will be interesting, but yeah, other than that you have to say Froome is in a very good position there.
    Hedging their bets till yesterday was over.
    Normal service resumed come tomorrow.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    I want Movistar to treat each mountain day like Quick Step treat one day cobbled races.
    I have my doubts about Quintana ever winning a GT. I think he'd be better off chasing the polka dot and stage wins. Less prestige but a higher chance of success. Happy to be proven wrong though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    By my reckoning - quickly scanning through Pro Cycling Stats and taking off Vuillermoz

AG2R & Katusha down to 6

Sunweb, Movistar, BMC, Astana, Lotto and Trek are on 7

Everyone else still with 8
    inrng saying Bernal "reportedly has broken fingers" from his BMC team car crash yesterday, in which case Sky might soon be down to 7 as well. I certainly wouldn't want to try riding in the TdF peloton without full use of my hands! Just asking for more crashing surely...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I have my doubts about Quintana ever winning a GT. I think he'd be better off chasing the polka dot and stage wins. Less prestige but a higher chance of success. Happy to be proven wrong though.

He's already won 2 and been on the podium 4 other times, so I wouldn't be writing him off just yet
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Sky have been quite clear that Froome is leader and Thomas is the back up. The team will ride for Froome but Thomas won't be expected to contribute.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

He's already won 2 and been on the podium 4 other times, so I wouldn't be writing him off just yet
    Hangs head in shame and wanders off muttering that I still do....
    :oops:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky have been quite clear that Froome is leader and Thomas is the back up. The team will ride for Froome but Thomas won't be expected to contribute.

It gets more complicated if Thomas is in yellow.

If you’re Thomas this is your best shot.

Complicated for Froome to take yellow off Thomas without a Thomas collapse or crash.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,605
    RichN95 wrote:

It gets more complicated if Thomas is in yellow.

If you’re Thomas this is your best shot.

Complicated for Froome to take yellow off Thomas without a Thomas collapse or crash.

Not so complicated then lol