Yorkshire Dales: Slaidburn to Skipton - 80/90 miles???

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
ppp

Comments

• Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Well just to kick things off, would suggest taking the Tatham Fell road (directly north out of Slaidburn) to Bentham, you are unlikely to meet more than a couple of cars for miles and its a great climb.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • londoncommuter
    This looks great so I've swiped the route:

http://www.lepetitdepart.co.uk/the-route/

Not sure how much "fun" it's going to be with a train booked at a set time and more hills than I'd cover in a decade in Kent. Better plan a short cut bailout option!
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    You've missed some fantastic and not too brutal climbs out, first off from Slaidburn take the quiet road to Bentham which takes you up a climb called the Cross of Greets, then before you get to Benthan do a right and then head back over Bowland Knotts and through Gisburn forest. Head to Tosside then to Wigglesworth, to Settle, then up a very tough climb called High Hill Lane to Airton. From there you have the option of turning left to Malham up either side of Malham Cove, the one on the left, Cove Rd is in the 100 greatest climbs, drop down to Arncliffe then an easy finish to Skipton.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I've done the le petit depart route which goes up High Hill Lane apart from that it's very uninspiring and misses out many nicer climbs.
  • londoncommuter
    ppp