Stand over

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited July 2018 in MTB beginners
is standover That important. Ive had my cannondale trail for a good few months now. Done some routes and Local of road trails And have next to nothing standover and havnt had any problems. With nuts as of yet

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No you ride a bike not straddle it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Yes it is important on a mountain bike as it is generally and indication if the bike is correct size.
    . How tall re you and what is your fame size in inches.
  • cooldad
    Didn't you ask the same thing a few months ago?

Nothing's changed. Standover is still not important.

viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=13090633&p=20319341
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Road bike. No.

Mountain bike yes.

When your testicles hit the top tube you'll realise why having clearance would be an excellent idea.
  • cooldad
    I have never, in over 50 years of riding, hit my knackers on the top tube...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cougie
    Count yourself lucky ! It only has to happen once to show you the error of your ways ;-)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Standover is pretty much irrelevant these days as frames have sloping top tubes.
  • 02gf74
    JGTR wrote:
    Standover is pretty much irrelevant these days as frames have sloping top tubes.

Well yes, of course but that assumes the op has got the correct sized frame, hence why I asked frame size and height earlier.
  • cougie
    JGTR wrote:

So by definition it is important. If you have no standover then you're definitely on the wrong frame.
  • JGTR
    cougie wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

So by definition it is important. If you have no standover then you're definitely on the wrong frame.

Exactly, that would be a frame sizing issue then.
  • 02gf74
    JGTR wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Which results in no standover height. So we are all in agreement.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    cooldad wrote:
    I have never, in over 50 years of riding, hit my knackers on the top tube...

I have on a early 1990's rigid GT outpost and it was painful, more so on the base of my spine than other more obvious area's :(

More modern bikes have sloping top tubes so you would need to be on a huge bike to get this problem.
  • cougie
    Or have massive cojones...
  • cooldad
    I have dented a couple of motorcycle petrol tanks in my time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    02GF74 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Which results in no standover height. So we are all in agreement.

No we’re not. Because top tubes generally slope these days you could be on a frame that is far too large for you but has adequate stand over height. So choosing your bike by stand over height is a nonsense.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't think the OP asked that. He asked if Standover was important. It is.

You'd still want to size your bike in the normal way though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As I have short legs (comparatively) for my height, I need a larger frame to get the reach right, very used then to having next to know Standover and my latest bike (Whyte T129) has none at all, yes its a bit inconvenient at times but its certainly no indication its the wrong size for me (bit of a bonehead statement), I'd rather have a bike that was the right size when riding it than one with more standover and was then cramped while riding!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    Fenix wrote:
    I don't think the OP asked that. He asked if Standover was important. It is.

You'd still want to size your bike in the normal way though.

He also says he has no standover clearance and it doesn’t cause any problems.....so it can’t be that important.
  • pe1ter
    reply to 02GF74 question about height and inseam i am 5”11 and 32” inseam
  • pe1ter
    sorry forgot to mention its a large frame 18.7”
  • cougie
    They're your nuts.