Buying a bike halfway through "the season"

awesterhoff
awesterhoff Posts: 15
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

2 months ago I started riding and bought a Cannondale CAAD12 105. I've been hooked ever since. Riding a lot of km in this summer beautiful weather and even got on the home-trainer when the weather has been bad.
For the last 2 month the only thing that has been in my head is cycling – especially digging in to the more nerdy stuff, learning about the different components, type of bikes, manufactures, tweaking different stuff and everything in between; And I still love it!

I've tried my friend's carbon racer, fitted with SRAM Red eTap and overall a lot better components... and was sold quite fast. It's of cause a completely different ride!
Therefore I've been looking at a new bike already. The Canyon Ultimate CF SLX DISC 9.0 SL.. I've been through their Factory Outlet too see if any size Large where to be found for a lower price, but it seems it's to be a very popular size, so there weren't many nor did they meet my requirement. At the moment there are some money to be saved on the Canyon, and I've been thinking about buying it.

What I basically wanted to hear answer: Is it really that bad to buy a bike halfway though the season? Got a friend who told me to back off, because Canyon will have new bikes next year and SRAM might introduce a new Red eTap system. But that how it will always be... New stuff get's introduced all the time!? Or is he actually onto something.

Hope to get some more insight from some people with more experience than I :roll:

Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    May. Might.

The correct number is always n + 1.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Korhag
    Korhag Posts: 77
    cooldad wrote:
    May. Might.

The correct number is always n + 1.

“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbour’ and hate your enemy. But I say, buy more bikes! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven....."

(Matthew 5:43-47 )

:lol:
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    The main reason to wait a little bit - maybe month or so - is because 2018 bikes will be on sale as 2019 bikes get introduced.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    There will always be a faster/lighter/nicer riding bike ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    2 months and then onto a superbike is a huge step. You'll have nothing to look forward to for the rest of your cycling career. Also most of your spills come in the first year or two. You'd not want to total your dream bike like that.

Personally I'd hang fire and ride what you have. Have you got a winter bike sorted ?
  • cougie wrote:
    2 months and then onto a superbike is a huge step. You'll have nothing to look forward to for the rest of your cycling career. Also most of your spills come in the first year or two. You'd not want to total your dream bike like that.

Personally I'd hang fire and ride what you have. Have you got a winter bike sorted ?

I hear you, but if we're talking dream bike, we probably looking at a 10.000£ custom Italian bike :lol::wink:
    No winter bike. I'm probably going to be sitting on the home-trainer all the way through winter.

Thanks, for the answers guys!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    If you have the funds, why wait? This is the best summer in my lifetime, get it ordered and enjoy riding it in this brilliant weather we have.
  • Why not hold off and buy yourself a decent wheelset instead? That way if you do see a great deal in the sale, you probably shouldn't have spent more than you would have if you bought currently. AND you also have a really decent winter steed.

The caad is a great frame and 105 is quality kit, the biggest difference you will make is with a decent set of wheels.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The Caad is a cool bike, keep it as a winter bike and buy the Canyon provided the deal is as good as the sometimes are. No harm in having a really nice bike and it'll only make you enjoy riding even more! I've just gone from a low specced supersix to a nice bike and the difference is huge in terms of feel and noticeable in terms of speed. Admittedly I have been riding road bikes for 3 years and have a touring bike too but I can't see any disadvantages in having a nice bike sooner
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    A caad12 is a decent bike and definitely a race oriented bike, if your mate's bike felt faster it likely was 99% just a feeling other than perhaps for the wheels.

That's not to say not to get a new bike though you might be able to save a few hundred if you wait.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Spend your money on a cycling holiday somewhere nice instead.

Then buy another bike next year ;)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    swap the 105 and stock wheels for something decent and it will change the bike.

CAADs are brilliant frames.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Canyon discount around TDF time and then they move end of season stock through their outlet. But they never really discount massively. I suspect the deals you see now aren't likely to get massively better for Canyon. Shop stock tends to be discounted when the new model lands, the discounts are bigger but their starting price also tends to be bigger so probably a wash.

My view is life is short, the summer is here, if you can afford to get a new bike and want to, then why not. You might get some time to enjoy it before winter bites. The only thing that would make me pause is if the delivery date was going to be October time then you would probably be wrapping your nice bike away for the winter and then it might make more sense to see what the landscape looks like spring time next year.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    I have a caad 12 105 which I upgraded to di2 and a nicer set of mavic wheels . I put 28s on and a carbon post . The bike is a bullet , more comfortable with the wider tyres and carbon post . It’s also really light and all I need or pretty much anyone racing needs .
    If I had left it as is with 105 and stock wheels I’d definitely want something sweeter . You could upgrade it or use it as a nice fast winter bike and buy that something special now
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Buy yourself some new wheels and some winter cycling gear. That way you have nice new flashy wheels for the summer, wheels for the winter and you don't have to be stuck on a trainer all winter.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think you've been fantastically lucky with the summer weather. It's hardly rained for the last two months. (assuming you're from Britain). No wonder you're loving the cycling.

The vast majority of weeks are not like this. You'll need a lot of autumn/winter kit. Riding a turbo all through the bad weather means you'll miss the outside for 2/3 of the year or so.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Nothing wrong with wanting a "better" bike, but the advice here is pretty solid. A CAAD with decent wheels and a good group is as much as most of us will ever need. I'd look into that first. At worst, you'll have a nicer set of wheels to stick on the next bike.

Put another way. It was a much bigger change for me when I changed the chunky-ish wheels with Durano tyres on my CAAD for a pair of 1400g tubeless wheels with proper race tyres than when I changed the CAAD for a SuperSix HiMod. The 'six is objectively a better bike, no question, but the margin isn't as wide as you'd think.