First cycling crash - T-boned a car

User2024
User2024 Posts: 16
edited February 2019 in Cyclocross
My love of cycling seems to have disappeared, was going downhill yesterday at speed of 25-30MPH and smashed straight into driver side of car who pulled out (I did brake but bike drifted) - smashing window, and sending me flying luckily only a few minor injuries plus some severe bruising but no broken bones.

I only started cycling since April time - and I cycle around country side mostly as it's steep and challenging, but a few cyclist have been injured & killed over the years, one cyclist was killed last week after colliding with a car.

Police said women admitted fault and her insurance will pay out any damages to me, if I make claim. Think she will also be done for driving without due car and attention.

Does make me slightly worried.

Any advice + tips? Also what would be next steps for claims and stuff?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    get back on the bike asap and sue the crone for every penny she has.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As above, plus when out on the road asume everybody else around you is bike blind.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get a cycling friendly solicitor involved or her insurance company will get off lightly and pay you the bare minimum.

Alyson France at Bikeline has been used by a few of my friends.

Cycling isn't very dangerous really. I bet lots of drivers have been killed by you too but you'd still drive a car ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Why was there a car on the cyclocross course?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    The only advice I can offer, is to get back on the bike as soon as you’ve healed. These things happen, it never hurts any less when it does, but if you’re not too badly banged up, crack on. If you leave it too long, the doubts will creep in, and you’ll end up not cycling much.
  • jollygiant
    jollygiant Posts: 117
    When I got knocked of the driver admitted he just didn't look properly.

I disclocated my shoulder and got gravel rash on knees elbows shoulders and month off work. His insurance gave me 3k for injuries and damage to my bike.

The police just made him do a traffic awareness course which cost him £180, which considering the crime I thought was quite fitting.
    At the time of the accident he was more shocked than me and look terrified at what he had done!
  • User2024
    cougie wrote:
    I bet lots of drivers have been killed by you too but you'd still drive a car ?

I do drive, but no I haven't killed anyone.

Thanks for advice people will get back on bike ASAP - but I think helmet will need replacing (Looks fine, but not sure about inside of the foam, it was a cheap one from Amazon AWE ) and bike servicing before I get back on.
  • spekky
    spekky Posts: 16
    Definitely get a new helmet. Just before you throw the old one away, check with the manufacturer whether they offer a trade in or discount. I threw away a Kask helmet in disgust after I was brought down by an errant MTB who cut across me only to find later that I could get a 50% discount if I returned it.
  • cougie
    Doh. I phrased that wrong. Read it as 'i bet lots of car drivers have been killed in your area but you'll still happily drive's

I wasn't implying you'd killed people.
  • cougie
    If you don't get your own insurance claim going then you'll be ripped off. Injuries. Damage to bike and clothing. Inconvenience. Time off work etc. Take photos of everything. All the damage to you and your kit. Get a solicitor.

Her insurance will look after her and pay you the bare minimum they can get away with.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    get back on the bike asap and sue the crone for every penny she has.

What a dick comment. The driver has admitted fault and the insurance company is going to settle. There's a time for adding bile to a situation and this isn't one of them. Chucking antagonism in where it isn't needed just makes you sound a complete tool. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
    A very similar thing happened to me about a month go, with the driver turning right, and straight into me. She was pretty shook up, and had no hesitation in admitting liability. Bike damage was about £2.5K, and came with a lot of gravel rash and bruises.
    I don't see the point in milking it, if her insurance company comes up with £2.5k, then that's fine with me. If they don't then I have the option of using the BC claim solicitors, but this will be the last resort.
    My advice would be as above, get straight back on the bike, - maybe go and do some hill reps which will restore confidence descending, if you need to.
  • User2024
    Thanks for the advice. I've just received a letter from her insurance company - they're saying they know it's not my fault as women has admitted fault and I should contact them if I suffered any injuries and losses which I did, not sure whether to go with them or threw solicitor.

My friend recommended Irwin Mitchell.

Should I choose solicitor or just speak to her insurance?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    User2024 wrote:
    Should I choose solicitor or just speak to her insurance?
    That's a very personal decision, material costs (bike, clothes, extra costs like Taxi's and lost holiday) are easy to quantify, personal injury less so. However in the spirit of not being a dick I would personally talk them direct and only engage legal assistance if you feel you aren't being treated right. Involving solicitors will almost always slow things down and at the end of the day you just increase everyone's car insurance premium (even if only by a tiny amount) by doing so.

If they know they aren't going to be forking out a few grand to a solicitor some insurers become a little more generous as paying you an extra few hundred is a net saving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just to give you an update on this - Settled this last year ended up getting paid a reasonable amount. Never got a solicitor wasn't badly injured and it just makes the process take a lot longer.

Anyway haven't cycled in Winter, except the last few days, feels good!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Glad it worked out for you and you’re back on the bike, enjoy.