Best budget disc wheelset (£200)

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm down to one bike at the minute (2017 Boardman road comp) and want to swap out the terrible no brand wheelset that came with it. They are about 2400g for the pair and lack any stiffness at all.

I'm wanting to throw around £200 at new wheels. I've looked at Hunt at £300 but that would be over 50% of the cost of the bike. I've scoped out Aksium discs and Fulcrum 7's but I'm reluctant with the Fulcrums as I've had rim brake Fulcrum 7's and a set of Fulcrum Quattro's go bad in no time so reluctant to stick with the brand.

Anything I'm overlooking in this price range? I'm due new rotors so don't mind 6 bolt or centre lock. I run 28mm tyres and might go to 32mm when they are due to be replaced.

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Aksium disc are stiff but weigh loads. I had a set come with my bike and they weighed 2.1kgs.

I sold them and bought a pair of Prime Pro discs at sub 1.5kgs, made a big difference to the responsiveness. They are £300ish, but Prime Race are £180 currently and look a decent shout for your budget. Much lighter than what you've got (1700g ish), plenty stiff; wide, tubeless compatible rim that would be perfect for 28s and 32s.

You can also get the 50mm carbon disc wheels at £450 at the moment and I'm seriously tempted even though they will look ridiculous on my mudguard equipped disc winter bike!

If you do get Primes, take them apart immediately and grease the bearings thoroughly, the big weakness seems to be the life of the bearings.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I know nothing at all about these so not a recommendation as such but 1980g for £219 (although I'd add a few grams to that):

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... eelset.htm
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Can I hijack my own thread and ask another question. My Boardman Road comp has standard fork dropouts for QR's. I take it this rules out any thru axle wheelsets? The Shimano RX-31's look decent and I've had good experience with Shimano wheels before.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've got the rim brake version of the Prime Race Road's on my winter bike and they've been great. They've given me no problems over winter and were a significant improvement on the Mavic Aksiums that I had before.
    They're also very easy to set up tubeless compared to some other wheels I've tried
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Superstar