Clothes, bikes and technique: Complete newbie needing some help

Ciaran1602
Ciaran1602 Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
First of all, hello all. I've "haunted" the forum for a while reading through some old topics and whatnot to get some advice and I must say this forum is a wealthy source of information!

To give a bit of context, I'm 23 years old. I'm not a "large" man by any stretch though I'm comfortably in the overweight category for my height (I'm 5ft 5). However I am chronically unfit having abandoned pretty much any and all exercise since I was 16 or so. The only two forms of fitness I enjoyed were swimming and cycling. And so, I want to take them back up again.

The last time I rode a bike for any real length of time was to college and back again a few miles a day on a Raleigh Chiltern with Shimano Nexus gears. I've been out of the loop for ages. I'm considering spending up to about £750 or so on something decent as I'm convinced part of the reason I found cycling so hard before was I didn't have the right tool for the job.

My "milestone" is to be consistently able to ride to work and back again. It's about 7.75 miles with, in the minimum gradient from Strava, a fairly gentle 200ft climb with a final 10% gradient before going back downhill again about 2/3 of the way through the route.

The questions are these: I've always liked touring cycles for their comfort and practicality but I'm concerned about their weight. I've been considering something like a Dawes Galaxy or a Ridgeback Tour but I would like to defer to the better judgement of the more experienced on this forum whether a lighter Carrera roadbike (etc) with suitable additions would be a wise choice. I have to carry a chuffing massive Dell laptop for work hence I'd like something solid enough to manage it.

Secondly, how important is having the gear and stuff? I've never ridden in anything other than usual casual clothes but was told fairly emphatically last time I went into a bike shop that the proper stuff helps with keeping cool and managing perspiration and all that sort of stuff. I'm happy to spend some money to do it properly (and force myself to keep at it ho ho!) but not sure how relevant it all is.

Ta in advance for any help.

Comments

• mtpockets
    mtpockets Posts: 20
    From my experience (commuting across London so advice may vary subject to your journey):

Bike - not familar with models but comfort and range of gears more important than weight, mudguards, tyres with grip, absolute familiarity with whatever pedal option you choose as potentially lots of stop/start, £ may depend on if able to lock up inside or out. I'd try out a few and pick the most comfortable, with a seating position you like. Commuter sub forum may be better for specific bike option: viewforum.php?f=40060

Other - Waterproof bag, several lights, waterproofs, helmet, something reflective for side-on (roundabouts), choice of clothes may depend on whether workplace has showers. I just rolled out of bed, wore whatever then showered & changed at work. Winter mornings on a bike can be very cold - gloves/hat/layers.

Main issue though is learning to be aware of everyone else. Get familiar with the bike beforehand so you can focus on surroundings. Don't assume other riders know what they're doing either - esp those still pulling up on the left of lorries. Your cycling fitness will improve quite quickly. Swimming's great for overall fitness.
  • Much appreciated , glad you confirmed most of my thoughts!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Does your work have a 'bike to work' scheme, that will allow you to pay for the bike out of your salary pre tax, so it's worth looking at. Downside is it can take a while for some workplaces to sort out.

Other than that,

Over that kind of distance you can get away with casual sports stuff rather than a full lycra outfit.

If it's a monster laptop you'll want something with panniers, which leads you down the touring end of the spectrum, although I think a fair few of the more entry level road bikes have suitabile attachments for panniers.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • My employer periodically does the Halfords cycle2work scheme but at awkward times if the year. I managed to find a Dawes Galaxy discounted down to £499 as it was a showroom model in the right size. Just got to pick it up in Winchester.

Thanks for the advice re gear and laptop. Hopefully the pannier rack fitted will be sufficient to carry it.