Cannondale Synapse creaking BB 30??

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,
My mate has an 18 month old Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Di2 bike. It doesn't have high mileage on it. Anyhow, a few rides ago a creaking noise started which appears to come from the area of the left crank. It only manifests itself when power is put through the crank for example on ascents. It's not really audible on the flat.
He's taken it to LBS and the guy stripped the BB and replaced the bearings with a higher end bearing. Mechanic stated it was a common problem with this bike. The initial work done hasn't really gotten rid of the creaking sound so we're wondering if the problem is the BB or it could lay elsewhere?
Any positive suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Blimey it could be lots of things. Creaking when climbing in easiest gears is frequently the freehub. It’s caused by very slight amounts of play in the bearings at either end.

Take the free hub body off stick your finger in and check. Is there any movement fore or aft?

Change both if there is, it’s one of the quicker servicing. Mileage is not a reliable indicator for wear, and they can get that way very quickly. Creaky but still perfectly serviceable.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As vino said, it could be a lot of things.

I would start by checking the headset and wheels.
  • pete1336
    pete1336 Posts: 86
    Thanks Gents for your replies....my mate is convinced its something to do with the chainring, cranks or BB. From what research he has done, including being told by LBS mechanic, its a common problem for this bike. Anyone here have the exact same bike with the same issue?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The last two times I had that it was the rear hub dying and the lower headset bearing had gone.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The BB30 in my supersix creaks like an old wooden ship. Having looked before at trying to fix it the internet told me it was an inevitability of owning BB30 and there was no hope. If you find something let me know :lol:

I was under the impression that is the pressfit cups creaking in the frame, people bond them in sometimes to avoid it
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    the replacement bottom brackets from wheels mfring solve all manner of BB ills.

Check all bearings for play, this is a simple do at home with zero cost associated option.

Check check for dirt in the headset, drop the fork out, wipe clean,visually inspect for rust or wear replace as necessary. also check the crown race isnt pitted. (look for uneven wear or discolouration or damage). Replace or clean and re grease as required.

NEXT remove the saddle from the seat post and the seat post from the frame.

CLEAN the seatpost thoroughly so there is no grease or dirt anywhere on it.

clean down the seat tube. Remove the seat clamp clean thoroughly removing the bolt to do so. Grease the bolt/clamp assembly threads.

once the seat tube and seatpost are clean and dry, reassemble using assembly paste. refit the saddle greasing / pasting the rails according to material.

realign height etc and tighten to recommended torque.

don't forget to give the free-hub bearings a good fingering.

Thoroughly cleaning lubricating and replacing worn bearings is something anyone should be able to do at home, if your mate is concerned there are loads of you tube videos to give him an idea. The park ones are particularly clear.

LBS mechanics are always tutting about something and it keeps them in work. pressfit bearings are a mixed blessing but 18 months in, the bike probably could do with some total body love.
  • missluna
    missluna Posts: 1
    I have had this problem since buying a Synapse 4 years ago. Right from the word go it started creaking and was back to the bike shop several times a year. (I only ride this bike about 2,500 kms per annum so don't put lots of kms on the bike as prefer the quietness of my other bike) although had about 14 months without any creaking up until last year. The bike shop could not fix that latest creaking noise and we decided to swap out the crank for a SRAM Force at my expense (I was happy doing this anyway as the small chainring on the original FSA chainset had to be replaced when replacing the chain - the chain was warn within tolerances, just the quality of FSA is questionable so won't being buying that brand again: get thousands of kms from Shimano chainrings - have never replaced one).

Anyway, last year took the bike home with new crankset, then about 500 kms later the creaking comes back. Another visit to the bike shop. We agreed that the components of the bottom bracket had been replaced (bearings and crankset) and it must be the frame that is the problem. I got a new frame under warranty, fitted the new crankset and 200 kms later the noise was worse than ever. Back to the bike shop again about 7 weeks ago to try again - replaced the factory bearings. Guess what? Today the creaking has started to ramp up again - not even 500 kms later this time. Will now look at going legal now for a refund as the goods sold are not up to scratch, although I may need to source an independent report from a mechanic as evidence of the the issue so not sure how this will go.

Maybe it could be the wheels, the cleats, the headset, the pedals, the skewers, the seat post; who knows. All I know is that it has always been the bottom bracket for me - that plastic clicking noise.

Best of luck with this. I have not been able to resolve it and BB30 is off the menu for me.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The plastic clicking noise is really indicative of a failed bearing in a BB30 shell.
    I've run several bikes with BB30 since 2008 and never had creaking issues.
    Maintaining BB30 requires a bit of YouTube knowhow and a few special tools that are relatively cheap, but it isnt rocket science.
    You do wonder if bike shops are damaging frames when drifting out old bearings, not knowing how to press new bearings in or forgetting to put circlips in.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    This guy has made a very interesting video addressing Cannondale's BB noise. Doesn't solve the OP's issues but interesting to watch if you've got 10 1/2 mins to spare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryhuHk ... ew&index=3
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Praxis BB30 adapter
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    mfin wrote:
    Praxis BB30 adapter

I used one and it creaked!

Never had a problem with my Felt running BB30 after using loctite bearing retainer when fitting the bearings. Worth a try and not an expensive fix.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Plus for the Praxis.. I swapped 6 months ago when I purchased a 4iiii crankset from Praxis.
    Stupid tool for the cup installation though, not deep enough, so be careful