New rotor installation

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Having a little trouble trying to fit a new disc rotor. Fitted it to the wheel, no problem. But when I put the wheel back into the frame, I can hardly turn the wheel. I've tried re-centering the caliper by un-doing the bolts, holding the brake on and re-tightening the bolts, but it doesn't make much difference. What bit am I missing?

It's as if the rotor is thicker. But both the old and new ones are 1.5mm thick.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tried pushing the pads back?

If it still doesn't work, try centring by eye.

Is the rotor straight?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    There should be a little grub screw at the back or side of the calliper securing an allen screw. Undo that and using an allen key, turn it to move the inner pad back into the housing so it just avoids the rotor.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    1.5mm is about the thickness at which you should replace a rotor. New rotors are ~1.9mm thick. If these are mechanical disc calipers, you will need to back off the pads to accommodate the additional thickness of a new rotor.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    There may be too much fluid in the brake for the thicker rotor. If you undo the bleed port on the brake lever, gently push back the pads, while holding the pads back screw the bleed port tight again. Then as above rest the pads and test.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    OK, think I've got it sorted. Pushed the pads back and then fiddled with the caliper until it stopped rubbing.

Thanks for all the replies.