Power meter pedals

pamplemoose
pamplemoose Posts: 85
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
I've had a set of Garmin Vector 3S (the single sided ones) on order now since early April, but as I understand it they're pretty stock constrained everywhere at the moment due to them having to sort out the issue withe leaking batteries.

Lookking at alternatives, the Assioma UNO looks pretty good and has the bonus of being a tiny bit cheaper. The only thing that puts me off is that the design has those massive pods on them and the battery life is 'only' 50 hours.

Anyone have experience of both? Should I just carry on waiting for the Vectors or get the Assiomas now?

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Lots of issues with the vector 3’s, maybe worth waiting to see whether garmin have fixed it before spending cash. Do you need pedals or would a crank option work?
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Should I just carry on waiting for the Vectors or get the Assiomas now?

I've got a set of Assioma DUO's. Battery life is fine, but the little magnetic clip-on chargers are a bit weird. The pods may look ugly, but they have no effect on q-factor and when you're pedalling you can't see them anyway - so it's only an issue when you're parked up at the cafe enjoying a double espresso and staring lovingly at your bike. The Garmin pedals do look a lot nicer.

Accuracy wise my DUO's track within a couple of watts of my Tacx NEO trainer.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Wiggle might have the vectors in stock. Like others have said, it might be a good idea to wait and make sure the issues have been ironed out before taking the plunge (that's what I'm doing).

There was another thread this week where someone did not get on with the Assiomas, something to do with the positioning I think, although others seem to be very happy with them.

Do you have a plan to upgrade to double sided in the future? Personally I think double sided is the way to go unless you are confident of your L/R balance.
  • Cheers guys. I'm only really interested in a pedal based meter as I'll be swapping them around between winter/summer bikes and my winter bike has FSA cranks that I really can't be bothered upgrading to Ultra at the moment.

The upgrading to double sided is an interesting point I hadn't considered. I know Garmin sell a right only 'upgrade' pedal but I don't think there's the same option for the Assiomas?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I bought the Vector 3S several weeks ago and have had none of the publicized problems. These were older stock from my LBS so had the older, problematic battery door, but I've since changed the batteries and still haven't had any problems. In any case, I contacted UK Garmin support and they've sent me the new design door, which I've yet to fit.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed Wiggle had new stock of Vectors so I bought the upgrade pedal from them as I was tempted by the platinum discount offered. This pedal has the new design of door, and again I've had zero issues with drop outs, right pedal missing or data spikes: they just work as you would expect.

There's no denying that many people have had problems with their pedals, and some continue to do so, even with the new battery doors, but I am extremely happy with my purchase, and would wholeheartedly recommend the Vector 3 based on my experience of using them and Garmin's determination to stand by their product.

I wonder how many of the problems are actually related to the head unit?
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... %5B1-25%5D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    leaking batteries

:roll:

As with bobones I've had zero issues with my V3 pedals, just as I had no issues with my V1 Vectors or any of the Edge units I've bought over the past eight years. Multiple battery changes and it's still pumping out steady watt data in freezing or roasting temps, in the pi$$ing rain and at high altitude.

Garmin sent me one of the idiot proof caps but I doubt I'll need it.
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    After having a few sets of troublesome Powertap P1 pedals i was looking forward to the Garmin Vector 3 pedals. After reading the many problems people have had i went with the Favero ones. So far so good, no issue with them. They look ok on the bike. Got them with 10% off via CleverTraining using the code on the DCRainmaker review page.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Just ordered a set of Vector 3's taking advantage of the British Cycling 10% discount, they are new stock with the updated battery door etc, fingers crossed for no issues.............
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mrpbennett
    mrpbennett Posts: 102
    I recently bought the Assioma UNO. No issues what so ever, they're my first power meter too. I was going to go with the powertaps but the Assioma are newer so went with them.

Id recommended them.
  • I completely forgot that Chain Reaction do a BC discount, so I've cancelled my other order and got some Vectors from there instead as they were in stock.
  • Vector 3's less than three months old have started with the widely reported right power sensor missing and power drops, now in a warranty claim with CR............... :(

Looks like the updated battery doors have not solved the issue!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • bobones
    Mine are still working perfectly.

Have you tried with with CR1/3N batteries or checked the battery contacts and battery surfaces for corrosion/fretting or other reasons why they wouldn't provide a consistent current?

The only time I've ever had dropouts is when I let my batteries run right down, and I am pretty sure that the dropouts you get are due to power supply problems.
  • I replaced the batteries using the LR44's, no signs of corrosion etc on either the batteries or the contacts & power status good. They are less than 3 months old.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • bobones
    I get in excess of 100 hours from SR44 and CR1/3N batteries. LR44s are poor in comparison. I think it's worth trying different batteries that are known not to be counterfeit. Also just phone Garmin UK support for advice and RMA your pedals if they are indeed faulty.
  • Will give the different batteries a go for sure, the LR44's are genuine Duracell. I've gone through the Garmin support error codes and suggested fixes etc, unfortunately it didn't fix.

The pedals are less than 3 months old and going back to Chain Reaction on a Warranty claim.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube