Help find me a wheelset...

lm_trek
lm_trek Posts: 1,470
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Im looking for the following:

650b
Boost hubs, shimano 11 speed cassette compatibility
Able to take plus tyres 2.8-3.0 so I’m guessing 30mm-35mm rims

Bigger point not too expensive....tubeless would be a bonus but not a deal breaker, trying to find a set under £200

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Any reason you cannot find one yourself.

Sounds like you know what you are looking for, so if new, go down to your local bike shop or online search the big retailers such as chainreaction, wiggle, Evans etc or for used that well known auction site, eb something.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    But you can't beat a personal recco. :)
  • lm_trek
    Yep was after a recommendation, blimey used to be a friendly place this,..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not found any set under £200 yet. Superstar had a set at £300 but O.O.S.

Prices will come down, but Boost is still relatively new, and wider rims are only just becoming more mainstream.

There are various adaptions that can/may be done to some wheelsets to set up for Boost.
  • lm_trek
    Hi sonic blast from the past! Cheapest I’ve found is DT Swiss from the online german webisite at £320 inc shipping, trying to find a cheaper option, my one lbs is a trek dealer so can only source bonty kit and that’s a ton of money and my other is a speshi dealer and £400 for a roval set.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm still about, old and creaking, but still riding ;-). Hope you are good!

I'll have a look in my catalogues at work, see if anything is about.
  • lm_trek
    Thanks!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    lm_trek wrote:
    Yep was after a recommendation, blimey used to be a friendly place this,..
    .. Yeah but it sounded like the post was for other people to do the searching.

Questions like these result in n replies with n different choices. I doubt with your budget you'll get a bad set... You may be better off asking what wheels not to recommend..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is this because you don't currently have any wheels, or are you replacing some, if so what are you looking to be better than it is on your current wheelset?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lm_trek
    Brought a new bike, comes with 29er wheelset but has the clearance for plus, bike comes in ethier plus 650b or 29er I went 29er as it’s no risk and the wheelset it comes with are pretty good.

Hence I’m looking for a cheap plus wheelset to give it a go.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look used, not much about but they do crop up!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.