How long......

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited July 2018 in Pro race
does it take a pro tour mechanic to build up a new bike?

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    has this been going on?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Vino'sGhost
    has this been going on?

:lol: TUNE!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    In drop out.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Define build up a new bike.

All new cables, uncut? Fork need cutting down? Bare wheels? Chain sized? Bar taping? BB installation? Headset?

(Irrespective of those points, I've no idea, but I always reckon that if someone had laid the parts out for me in advance of doing any bike work just about any job is very quick and easy if the right tools are around and there's no thinking required)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    A lot less time than the hours they'll charge you to build one when they quit the pro ranks and open their own bike shop.
  • Ha ha or there is the more realistic not enough space wrong tool just out of reach and a mix of 9 10 and 11 speed components
  • FdJ had a video of this in Australia. A complete bike build with a nice tech house track not in real time maybe 2 -3 hours ?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Based on my experience, 1 hour for the basic build, plus 4 hours driving round bike shops failing to find one that has the right tool for the (yet another new standard) BB installation, 5 mins to order the tool online, and 2-3 days waiting for it to arrive. Add an hour if using Nokon cables.
    Wheel building - 30-45 mins per wheel for the basic build, plus another 30-45 mins rattling the wheel around trying to get at the loose nipple you managed to drop inside the rim.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Vino'sGhost
    larkim wrote:
    Define build up a new bike.

All new cables, uncut? Fork need cutting down? Bare wheels? Chain sized? Bar taping? BB installation? Headset?

(Irrespective of those points, I've no idea, but I always reckon that if someone had laid the parts out for me in advance of doing any bike work just about any job is very quick and easy if the right tools are around and there's no thinking required)

yes the full thing, your man goes into green or yellow unexpectedly and it needs done for the next day plus all the other stuff. must be mixed emotions :)
  • Vino'sGhost
    TGOTB wrote:
    Based on my experience, 1 hour for the basic build, plus 4 hours driving round bike shops failing to find one that has the right tool for the (yet another new standard) BB installation, 5 mins to order the tool online, and 2-3 days waiting for it to arrive. Add an hour if using Nokon cables.
    Wheel building - 30-45 mins per wheel for the basic build, plus another 30-45 mins rattling the wheel around trying to get at the loose nipple you managed to drop inside the rim.

hahah totally recognise that
  • Vino'sGhost
    FdJ had a video of this in Australia. A complete bike build with a nice tech house track not in real time maybe 2 -3 hours ?

Id have thought about that at least. it takes me the best part of a day.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    An hour.
  • Vino'sGhost
    An hour.....

Ok ive bought a new frame, ill lay the kit out and go for it. Maye Sky will hire me :lol:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Pross wrote:
    A lot less time than the hours they'll charge you to build one when they quit the pro ranks and open their own bike shop.

However much it is and however long it takes them it’s worth the money to me. I would rather stick forks in my eyes than change a tyre.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    smithy21 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

However much it is and however long it takes them it’s worth the money to me. I would rather stick forks in my eyes than change a tyre.
    What happens when you get a puncture then? Does Jeeves come.and change the inner for you?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

What happens when you get a puncture then? Does Jeeves come.and change the inner for you?
    Could be. I saw a guy stopped by the side of the road on a French climb once, with a flat tyre. I slowed down, as you do, and called out "ca va?" His reply, in an English accent, "Oui merci, on attende mon voiture de support..."
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Less than 5 minutes assuming everything laid out
  • Vino'sGhost
    :lol:

not just the bar tape....
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    :lol:

not just the bar tape....

Used to know someone who built bikes at Dawes? back in the day in Birmingham. They had an annual competition to build an audax type bike. Winners were below three minutes. Not sure how much pre assembly was done, but wheels probably pre built with tyres etc, and not sure if bar tape was on but I doubt it.
  • Vino'sGhost
    wow thats going some, I'm guessing gears were friction not indexed. but even so that would be something worth watching.