Reasons not to buy a Giant

2»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You're best off buying a new frameset and piecing together the groupset / finishing kit from eBay. I scooped a barely used SRAM Red (10sp) groupset for about £400.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Ben6899 wrote:
    You're best off buying a new frameset and piecing together the groupset / finishing kit from eBay. I scooped a barely used SRAM Red (10sp) groupset for about £400.

ok, so. Advanced frame set is £1349, Ultegra R8000 £550 plus wheels plus finishing kit. My Advanced 1 with R800 was £1449 so how do you figure out it's cheaper to buy it piecemeal and assemble it yourself? i don't have the tools etc to do it anyway so I'd be paying a mechanic too! Oh, it's also only in a colour I don't like. Apart from that it's a great idea!
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    My part built SL is for sale in the classifieds.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    My part built SL is for sale in the classifieds.

I saw it earlier. Stunning bike but I just don't have the cash hanging around. Purchase is through my LBS on finance until I go through the rigmarole of selling my Enigma.
  • sally56
    sally56 Posts: 5
    One of the reasons is that the price dispels the desire I want to buy.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    letap73 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    letap73 wrote:
    Giant put together great bikes on the whole - but in some ways there success in making a bike suit as many people as possible makes them "boring".

I bought a Defy Advanced from 2010 - then bought a Supersix Himod Evo to replace it. I did a hilly 50 mile test ride on the Evo - it was thrilling but clearly by the end of the ride I was really flagging. As soon as I got home I jumped onto the Defy for confirmation bias purposes. Did 20 miles on hilly terrain - boring ride in comparison - when I got home I realised I had been far quicker on the Defy then on the Evo.

I have kept both bikes - the evo is more exciting, the Defy a great bike to be on when you are not feeling 100% but subjectively a boring ride in comparison.

This is so stupid. You're comparing an mid level endurance Giant to a top end race orientated Cannondale. Why not compare it the with TCR advanced SL...far from boring. If I compared my TCR Advanced SL with a mid level synapse of course the synapse would be "duller"

Oooh. We have a Giant fan boy. I was answering the question "reasons not to buy a giant", so I have answered the question.
    You will notice that I have kept the Giant - because it is a great bike and some of my quickest rides have been on it.
    I have ridden the Synapse and the TCR and I think the Supersix is more exciting than the TCR and the Synapse is more exciting than the Defy. I think that Cannondales make for more exciting handling than the Giants - however, the overall package of the Giants I have ridden is hard to beat.

Hardly a "Giant fanboy" I got them because I get a discount. I've owned and raced a S-Works Venge, Willier Cento 1 Air, S-works Tarmac, Canyon Ultimate CF, with Dura-Ace, DI2, Campag Record/SR. I said you compared two different style bikes with two different prices ranges and geometries...not like for like which means you can't make a comparison.

The TCX Advanced SL is up there with the Tarmac for an all round bike. I have a Cannondale CX bike and man is it a dull ride vs my Giants...Cannondale must be pants.

If I was a "fanboi" of anything it would be Bianchi Oltre XR4...drool.