TDF 2018, Stage 6: Brest > Mûr-de-Bretagne Guerlédan 12/07/2018 - 181 km *Spoilers*

123457»

Comments

• onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    cougie wrote:
    Re the zip. Martins kit hasn't any zip. It's meant to be more aero and cooler like that. Obv that's why he won. Sky with Thursday cumbersome YKKs didn't stand a chance.
    Thanks for the explanation. No wonder Froome lost time.

Regarding the prize money, Thomas Voeckler for French TV was saying that the tradition in French teams (but not in others, he seemed to think?) is to split primes among not only the riders but also the team staff, such that in many cases it’s divided by 50. So Pierre Latour’s €5500 for second place today might net him around €110 … before tax.
  • onyourright
    Pross wrote:
    I was surprised how much Bardet lost as they were well organised and he never really lost the back of the peloton.
    Even though they were organised, he had to chase hard to get back on and move up. That would have cost him a lot of energy and he had no time to recover before hitting the climb. Also, he was on Gallopin’s bike. You can roll along the flat for a few kilometres on someone else’s bike, but hammering it flat-out up a hill would be far from ideal.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    cougie wrote:
    Re the zip. Martins kit hasn't any zip. It's meant to be more aero and cooler like that. Obv that's why he won. Sky with Thursday cumbersome YKKs didn't stand a chance.
    Thanks for the explanation. No wonder Froome lost time.

Regarding the prize money, Thomas Voeckler for French TV was saying that the tradition in French teams (but not in others, he seemed to think?) is to split primes among not only the riders but also the team staff, such that in many cases it’s divided by 50. So Pierre Latour’s €5500 for second place today might net him around €110 … before tax.
    It's not split equally. And it happens on all teams I believe. The usual split is around one share for each rider and two shares for the staff as a whole.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    Had to go out before the end of the stage. Got to say it had been pretty boring up to then. Trust me to miss the best bit. Maybe was Just as well as I got way too excited and shouty watching even the catchup!
    Congratulations to Dan (and as a bonus no Panda was hurt during the victory)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    mamil314 wrote:
    I think those crazy w/kg finishes are actually too damaging on the legs and those that do do them, cannot repeat that many of those. We will see what Dan is like on the third week.

last time around he was still doing it. if he gets over the cobbles, he'll be in good shape I'd say.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    philbar72 wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:
    I think those crazy w/kg finishes are actually too damaging on the legs and those that do do them, cannot repeat that many of those. We will see what Dan is like on the third week.

last time around he was still doing it. if he gets over the cobbles, he'll be in good shape I'd say.

Big if there, team support will be crucial and I can't see him getting much help from Kristoff
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dan was saying he hopes/thinks Stage7 will be an easier day. Just let the faux break go till 5km and let the sprinter duke it out. Long day out though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Do think it was rather harsh on Tom.
  • onyourright
    Why is a 20-second penalty for brazen cheating harsh? At best it’s slightly surprising.

And remember he got himself in that position in the first place by crashing into Bardet, also harming Bardet’s chances for the overall.

If the sport paid more attention to this sort of backwardness (drafting cars and motorbikes, sticky bottles, camera bikes in front of the break, etc.) instead of innocuous meds and imaginary motors it would go some way toward becoming more professional and palatable to modern viewers in affluent countries.

Yeah, I know it’s been going on for a hundred years.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Was it a sunweb car he was drafting or just a convenient one? The marker has been laid down now though, commisaires need to be consistent on this and *then* it is fair.

Overall though, yesterday brought the contenders back in line (with the exception of Thomas, and the jury is out as to whether his position in the GC is sustainable in relation to Froome anyway).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Do think it was rather harsh on Tom.

Yes, definitely. Tantamount to Sagan Cav last year, no consistency in judgment. 20sec, he already had the penalty with the mechanical. TD said it was fair surprisingly, but went on to discuss consistency.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Can't really say it was harsh on Doumoulin. And I'm a big fan of his. It was blatant.

Let's see how it applied to the french riders later in the race...
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:
    Can't really say it was harsh on Doumoulin. And I'm a big fan of his. It was blatant.

Let's see how it applied to the french riders later in the race...

Only as blatant as Astana, and only blatant because there was a camera there.

We didn't see much of Quintana's ride back after his wheel breakage, but I would bet quite a bit that he drafted the sh!t out of that movistar car.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Just managed to watch a clip of the highlights from yesterday (digibox didn't record it). Given there was near enough a 10s clip of him being paced intentionally by his own team car (after he was clearly looking backwards down the road to see where it was) it all looked far too intentional to be overlooked. If they'd not sanctioned that one, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on later in the race.

And as others have suggested, 20s penalty for potentially 20s gained doesn't seem too harsh!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rick_chasey
    Dutch press giving Dumolin grief for stopping on the left.

Think he agrees it was a mistake.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Dutch press giving Dumolin grief for stopping on the left.

Think he agrees it was a mistake.

Millar commented on it at the time too.