Would you buy an ex demo bike, or steer well clear?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,868
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all,

debating the possibility of purchasing an ex demo, as used by the manufacturers themselves.

In theory it is a 45% saving on RRP, but another retailer has the bike with a 27% saving, so not as much of a difference as it first appears.

Wondering if the bikes get hammered and mistreated, and it's a bit of a gamble - anyone bought one, or would buy one?

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I think you need to stop buying stuff because it’s discounted! Don’t get me wrong I love a deal but man you need to walk away from the laptop lol!
  • daniel_b
    solboy10 wrote:
    I think you need to stop buying stuff because it’s discounted! Don’t get me wrong I love a deal but man you need to walk away from the laptop lol!

No that's not why! It's a bike I want quite a lot, and may sell a Synapse to finance it, but debating whether the saving is worth it versus the fact it won't be 'box fresh' - appreciate it won't be box fresh as soon as I ride it of course, but I do look after my kit.

That's good to know oxoman, sounds like the first one was a serious steal - this would also be a roadbike, hear what you are saying about an MTB.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If it's from a reputable retailer/manufacturer they will be serviced to as new standards and any damaged parts will be replaced, so if the savings were good enough then I'd definitely be tempted.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say it's a pretty safe bet if it's a road bike. 'Twould be obvious if it had been trashed or crashed.

It's not the same gamble as buying a used MTB or an ex rental car.

(Mind you, my wife's car was a 6 month old ex rental car. 16 years on and it's still in astoundingly good mechanical condition. Just the wiring / electrics starting to develop gremlins which is annoying. I'm pretty good at spannering but never really got the hang of electical stuff. Perhaps I should learn since that's all we'll have soon...)
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I wouldn't buy off the internet. I'd want to see the cosmetic flaws.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    You could always ask for a demo ride to see if it has any obvious issues.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    How bloody indecisive are you?
  • daniel_b
    How bloody indecisive are you?

How do you mean?

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I've bought two in the past, really good deals. Both times though I knew the age/condition of the bikes and trusted the LBS with regards to their usage. Both in very good condition. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as long as I was able to inspect it before hand and the deal was acceptable.
    Both times the bike was serviced and cables replaced.
  • daniel_b
    w00dster wrote:
    I've bought two in the past, really good deals. Both times though I knew the age/condition of the bikes and trusted the LBS with regards to their usage. Both in very good condition. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as long as I was able to inspect it before hand and the deal was acceptable.
    Both times the bike was serviced and cables replaced.

Thanks for that - this would be internet only, no possibility of viewing beforehand, and they are a reputable retailer that I have had no issues with previously.

I would have to check, but presumably if I was happy to drive it back or ship it back (Should it not meet my expectations) I would be able to obtain a refund.

I have to weigh up whether the extra discount is worth it over the cost of a completely new one.

They tell me the bikes are being stripped, taken apart, everything inspected, and replaced if required.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Do you still get full warranty on the frame? If so then I'd consider it but the discount would need to be hefty, and not compared to RRP as most people would not pay full RRP for a brand new bike
  • daniel_b
    tmg wrote:
    Do you still get full warranty on the frame? If so then I'd consider it but the discount would need to be hefty, and not compared to RRP as most people would not pay full RRP for a brand new bike

Yep full warranty. Discount is hefty off of RRP, 43%, but 'only' 30%-ish less than I could buy it elewhere brand new if that makes sense, as that retailer has it discounted.

However, as it's a pretty expensive bike, the difference is not inconsiderable.

As an example, if it was a case of a 1K bike, and I could buy it new discounted for £800, or an ex demo for £620, I'd likely go for brand new, but this is the other end of the scale, and the monetary difference is somewhat magnified.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tmg
    You'll not get the answer here as its a personal judgment call, but all I would say is that you should push them really hard on the deal as they won't have too many folks walking through the door willing to buy a high-end ex-demo, free kit or a service plan
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I bought my Giant Defy 2012 from my local Giant shop in October 2012 as an ex-demo. There were a couple of extremely minor scratches, but otherwise it was perfect. Still have it today, with a few more minor scratches. It's been great.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • daniel_b
    tmg wrote:
    You'll not get the answer here as its a personal judgment call, but all I would say is that you should push them really hard on the deal as they won't have too many folks walking through the door willing to buy a high-end ex-demo, free kit or a service plan

Yep totally understand that, wasn't expecting an answer, was just interested to hear what other peoples perspectives on it would be.

I suspect with this one you may be surprised, there are very few around still in stock, and only a handful of places have them reduced to any amount at all, a lot of places are out of stock in the most popular sizes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tmg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Once upon a time I bought an ex long term road test bike - so thrashed by a journo. It had six months hard use but also had been serviced within an inch of it's life by the distributor. It was perfect. It remains perfect, although in someone else's hands now, despite me riding it in all weathers for six years and being less than meticulous in my care of it.

I wouldn't have an issue if I knew the provenance - as I did with my one.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • shirley_basso
    That’s the thing. So long as it has relatively few marks, good provenance and full warranty, it doesn’t matter.

It becomes a personal decision as to whether you don’t mind cosmetic marks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    My Canyon from 2011 was ex-demo.

I think it had 90km on the clock when i received it. I couldn't find the mark it apparently had.

Still riding it, still loving it.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

Was yours bought 'blind' Rick, or did they have any actual pics of the bike that were uploaded prior to your purchase?

I do like to look after my kit, but equally I have become less distraught about small blemishes as I have gained more myself :-)

The sway factor for me here, is that the reduced bike is still £950 more than the ex demo one.
    The ex demo one I can't see or ride before buying though, but presumably (And I will check) I could return it if I am not happy with it for a refund.

It's basically a dream bike (for me) so I just need to weigh up the pro's and cons.

I think as long as I can return it should I not be happy with it, then it has to be the logical first choice.
    Clearly the other reduced one might be sold in the meantime, but that's just one of those gambles.
    Worst case I wait a couple of years, or look to buy one second hand for even less in a year or two.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Blind - bought it from the Canyon factory outlet online.

It was significantly cheaper. I think someone on here found it for me actually - dhope I believe.

Edit: no, Keyser__Soze
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it yellow??
  • daniel_b
    keef66 wrote:
    Is it yellow??

What makes you ask that...?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    I bought my Serotta from a company that ran bike tours. I'd ridden it a few months before and knew it was right. Got a good deal on it. Most of my bikes have been ex demo. £5k bike for £2k? Yes please as long it fits.
  • daniel_b
    amrushton wrote:
    I bought my Serotta from a company that ran bike tours. I'd ridden it a few months before and knew it was right. Got a good deal on it. Most of my bikes have been ex demo. £5k bike for £2k? Yes please as long it fits.

Cheers Amr - would you still go that route if the same bike was available new for, lets say, £2700?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    Mine was and blemished.

3k down from 6 or maybe even 7. Used and scuffed.

Shop has given me 1yr warranty on it which has been kind and lifetime free servicing. Downside I live nowhere near the shop any more!

Do it. Sell one of your other bikes. Or two
  • tmg
    Why can't you view it before you buy it? If you're going to save nearly a grand cant you spend some of that going to see it, and if you like collect at the same time?
  • daniel_b
    tmg wrote:
    Why can't you view it before you buy it? If you're going to save nearly a grand cant you spend some of that going to see it, and if you like collect at the same time?

That would certainly have been my preference (I would happily have taken a day off work to drive there), but when I rang up, they told me they are being worked on in a central warehouse, and there's no possibility of viewing, you just have to buy online, or not at all.

Just waiting to hear back about whether I can return it for a refund (at my own expense) if it's not up to what I was expecting.

I'm erring more towards going for it now I must be honest.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    Daniel B wrote:
    amrushton wrote:

Cheers Amr - would you still go that route if the same bike was available new for, lets say, £2700?

Would depend. My MeiVici was one the most expensive frames available (normally custom) when I got it - £5k+ My Ottrott was £3.5k frame and fork but I got them for approx £2k. The latter was brand new but older stock. I had the components available but I couldn't get bikes of that quality at full price. If the difference between new and demo was £500 I'd still rather buy the demo. £500 is better in my pocket. My wifes serotta (also bought used) had an $800 paint job on top of the £2.5k new price tag. I paid £1.5k