What Power Meter for Sram Red set up 10 speed

kbaker
kbaker Posts: 5
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello, I have a ten speed Sram Red set up and would like to purchase a crank based power meter and have a budget of £500. I have a BB30, 170mm crank and 110BCD. The Quarq Sram red looks best but its too expensive. Ive bought Favero Assioma Power Meter pedals but cant get on with them. Does anyone know if there are any other compatible crank based power meters apart from Quarq that would be suitable for my bike. Thank you very much!

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Power2Max?
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    sorry to go slightly off topic, but out of interest what are your issues with the Assioma's?
  • kbaker
    Hi Grahamcp, When i bought them the q factor and stack was supposed to be the same but like all new parts they are always different. They sit that little extra forward which is putting too much of a reach for optimum pedalling. Ive played around with different cleat positions but that has created a knee injury.
  • kbaker
    Hi Joey, Power2max wont work. I looked at this last week and they said no. cheers though
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    kbaker wrote:
    Hi Joey, Power2max wont work. I looked at this last week and they said no. cheers though

P2M will work with SRAM Red 10 if you sell the Red crank set and put something else on. I ran SRAM Red 10 speed with a Rotor 3D24 and P2M. The Rotor P2M has followed me as I've changed bikes over the years and now sits on my Reacto.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • joey54321
    philthy3 wrote:
    kbaker wrote:

P2M will work with SRAM Red 10 if you sell the Red crank set and put something else on. I ran SRAM Red 10 speed with a Rotor 3D24 and P2M. The Rotor P2M has followed me as I've changed bikes over the years and now sits on my Reacto.

Yeah, I assumed the OP was planning on replacing the cranks. IMO limiting your powermeter choice because you want to keep a certain crank without good reason is a pretty bad decision. Especially as crank based poweremeters are the gold standard in terms of accuracy and reliability (not enough people think about this) and not many are sold as an aftermarket retro-fit (though I believe that is starting to change.
  • kbaker
    Hi guys, thank you for you info so far. Yes if i sell my sram red cranks then i would be looking at £500 short if i buy this...

https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ty ... crank-set/

This looks to come with a power meter, crank arms and chainrings plus kit. All in at £618. Is this what you recommend?

Cheers!
  • joey54321
    Power2Max is a well-regarded power meter brand that have been in the game long enough for proven reliability and accuracy. SRM, Power2Max, Quarq and a powertap hub are probably the only powermeters i'd trust.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    kbaker wrote:
    Hi guys, thank you for you info so far. Yes if i sell my sram red cranks then i would be looking at £500 short if i buy this...

https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ty ... crank-set/

This looks to come with a power meter, crank arms and chainrings plus kit. All in at £618. Is this what you recommend?

Cheers!

Yes. I have the Type S on my Rotor cranks and can't fault it. No need for constant calibration and L/R balance is standard along with the inbuilt temperature sensor. I've changed the battery once in the years that I've had it, it never fails to connect to my Wahoo ELEMNT and IMO, a better option than the newer models being put out by P2M where you pay extra for L/R balance.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    I have your exact set up and went with a NOS quarq Elsa. I paid £425 for it however I spent a lot of time hunting.

I would recommend either P2M or keep an eye out on time trial forum for a used quarq. I've seen plenty go for under your budget
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc