Specialized Turbo Cotton vs Continental gp4000s 2 durability

Livewire
Livewire Posts: 91
edited July 2018 in Workshop
I was bought a pair of Specialized Turbo Cotton for my birthday and they have been sat in my garage for about 3 months, I am somewhat afraid of fitting them because I have read they are a very fragile tyre.

At the moment I am using continental gp4000s 2's 25c, I don't tend suffer with a lot of punctures (touch wood)

Has anyone got experience of using both the GP4000s and the Turbo Cotton and if so did you find the Turbo Cotton to be any more fragile than the GP4000s?

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Livewire wrote:
    I was bought a pair of Specialized Turbo Cotton for my birthday and they have been sat in my garage for about 3 months, I am somewhat afraid of fitting them because I have read they are a very fragile tyre.

At the moment I am using continental gp4000s 2's 25c, I don't tend suffer with a lot of punctures (touch wood)

Has anyone got experience of using both the GP4000s and the Turbo Cotton and if so did you find the Turbo Cotton to be any more fragile than the GP4000s?

yes ive used both. If youre going to get a massive sidewall split from flint, you're going to get a massive split. it happens.

For what it's worth, I found myself getting a lot of punctures on the specialized tyres to the point where other benefits aside i kicked them in to touch. I now run the continentals only but I'm sure ill be tempted elsewhere in the future though i wouldn't be surprised if its only a brief dalliance.

I did persevere with the spesh tyres for a while because i was getting them free but i also found they were done on the rear after six weeks or so c900 to 1,000 miles. I think i might be on the higher to average mileage but even so. Some of my friends think theyre great. Apparently they "feel better" but then they also respond to any marketing guff and the internet. I thought they felt as good as the continentals.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    The Specialized Turbo COTTON tyres are great, but they are a LOT more fragile than GP4000S II tyres, they're pretty much an all out racing or "perfect European roads in the summer" tyre.
  • Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    Thanks for the responses, I think I may put them up for sale and get a new set of gp4000's in 28c