Dura ace 9100 (Not 9000) or Ultegra Di2?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,868
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
If you had the choice between these two on an off the shelf aero bike, what would you go for?

I'll caveat this with the fact the DA bike comes with 53/39, so I would be looking to swap that out for a semi compact.

EDIT: Made a mistake, it's DA 9100, NOT 9000, not sure what exact difference that makes though.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you want electronic shifting, then mechanical surely doesn't come into it? Dura Ace Di2 at almost twice the price of Ultegra wouldn't even enter my planning. The choice would be between Ultegra Di2 and SRAM eTap. I went Ultegra after years of using SRAM mechanical, simply because the functions of the new R8050 Di2 outweigh the functions of eTap. If you're self installing as I did, there's no hidden nightmares with Di2, much as a few people decry having to connect cables to components.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Which generation of Di2. If it was Ultegra R8050 Di2, Id go with that.

If it's the older version of 6870, then I would chose 9100 instead.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks guys.

It's 6870 Ultegra, so the older variant.

I have both at the moment, and don't overly mind which one I end up with. The DA bike is a lot more pricey, but has a better frame, the Ultegra is about 60% of the cost.

This would not be a build (I have built in the past but the high cost of the frame I am interested in, makes it illogical sadly), literally an off the shelf purchase.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    Had this first world 'problem' last year (R9100 or 6800 series Di2) as both were available for about the same price (bought in bits from different outlets). Was for my best bike build (Foil Premium) so I went DA as I always felt I would regret not having it. That said, I've never had Di2 and as said above, had you had the opportunity of R8000 series Di2 I may have chosen that. FWIW R9100 is very slick shifting, and many reviews say its near as damned as good as Di2 due to the very light lever action.

I think if you went with the older version of Ultegra Di2 you may regret it. You mentioned the 9100 bike has the better frame - which bike(s) are you looking at?
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • StillGoing
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks guys.

It's 6870 Ultegra, so the older variant.

I have both at the moment, and don't overly mind which one I end up with. The DA bike is a lot more pricey, but has a better frame, the Ultegra is about 60% of the cost.

This would not be a build (I have built in the past but the high cost of the frame I am interested in, makes it illogical sadly), literally an off the shelf purchase.

Why the older version if you're also listing eTap as an option? The price of eTap compared to R8050 is about the same.
  • daniel_b
    A 2017 model comes with Ultegra
    A different flavour 2018 model comes with Dura ace

I listed etap as an 'option' as I could buy either bike, strip the bits off as new, flog them and go etap.

@BianchiDave - I have pm'd you.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    @BianchiDave - pm'd you again, last one disappeared.....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    Daniel B wrote:

I listed etap as an 'option' as I could buy either bike, strip the bits off as new, flog them and go etap.

So what's stopping you doing the same with Ultegra R8050 for the same money as eTap?
  • daniel_b
    philthy3 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

So what's stopping you doing the same with Ultegra R8050 for the same money as eTap?

Nothing stopping me, but I doubt I would go to that amount of trouble for something that for me would probably only be a marginal improvement, and a reasonable amount of effort\dealing with buyers etc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    Daniel B wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Nothing stopping me, but I doubt I would go to that amount of trouble for something that for me would probably only be a marginal improvement, and a reasonable amount of effort\dealing with buyers etc.

Yep, you've lost me there. You deem it ok to rip everything off to fit eTap, but not ok to rip everything off to fit R8050 Di2 for the same money. The R8050 Di2 operates as good and exactly the same as the new Dura Ace Di2. The only differences between the two are weight due to the materials used and price. Di2 has more functions currently than eTap too.