Lidl panniers - any around and are they all right?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Did anyone by any chance spot if Lidl had any panniers in their bike sale last week? None were pictured online or in the weekly leaflet but then workstands weren't either and they seem to have been in stock in store.

I think they're "normally" £10 when available.

I've never used panniers before and know nothing about them but I wouldn't mind some cheap ones in a hurry. Any reason not to if I could get a set?

Many thanks

Comments

• londoncommuter
    Just called them. Apparently not this time. Rats.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    Not relevant now, but the Lidl ones I bought ages back were decent panniers but I didn't trust the clips for touring.
    I did use them loaded without a problems, but took a supply of plenty of zip ties with me in case and swapped the bottom clips for rubber loops.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    That link's to a rack.

Can't really help about newer panniers. I'm still using 30 year old Karrimores that have been fantastic, or the Lidl ones mentioned. If I was buying I would probably look at Ortleibs but are very expensive.
  • londoncommuter
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    That link's to a rack.

Can't really help about newer panniers. I'm still using 30 year old Karrimores that have been fantastic, or the Lidl ones mentioned. If I was buying I would probably look at Ortleibs but are very expensive.

Yes, I need a rack and bag.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Any rack will do on your bike, the calipers are inside the rear triangle. Mine is an older one where the calipers are on top of the seatstay so the rack has to go out before it goes up, if that makes sense (please don't blame me if you get the wrong one)
  • londoncommuter
    HaydenM wrote:
    Any rack will do on your bike, the calipers are inside the rear triangle. Mine is an older one where the calipers are on top of the seatstay so the rack has to go out before it goes up, if that makes sense (please don't blame me if you get the wrong one)

Great. So any reason not to go cheap at £14?

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... -rear-rack?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I can't see a reason why not although sometimes they take a bit of messing about. I use something like the one below which goes out around any potential brake caliper,and then up to the body of the rack, on yours it can just go straight up from the frame as there is nothing in the way

product-racks-explorer-explorer-disc-d573fbb2b569804551d75bef23507ca0.jpg
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    There are "some" around from their may cycling deal in some of the more obscure lidls - the one near me (portsmouth) had some in their clearance isle last week. I use a pair of their faux roll top set as a backup/emergency set, (i've got a topeak rack bag with extendable panniers, but one of them is torn to pieces) and they seem to be ok.
    I've also got a pair of their "shopping" panniers zip tied to the pub hack for the odd shop, and not had a problem with those.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...