Holdsworth Super Professional Shimano Ultegra R8000 Road Bike

pedrojake
pedrojake Posts: 229
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience on this? Ive been tempted by the Holdsworth Competition frame which had been well marked down in price. At the same time, I’d actually been researching the Vision Metron 55’s as a wheelset to have in the collection, and had been looking about for prices on them. I then stumble across the offer from Planet X .......

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLSPSH ... -road-bike

Whilst the bike itself with Ultegra and the Vision 35’s doesn’t look tremendous value (?), throwing in the set of the 55’s for free makes this look a great bargain in my eyes (not that I was looking to spend £1500+ on them...)

Anyone any thoughts on this? T’internet gives very little clues

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    PedroJake wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience on this? Ive been tempted by the Holdsworth Competition frame which had been well marked down in price. At the same time, I’d actually been researching the Vision Metron 55’s as a wheelset to have in the collection, and had been looking about for prices on them. I then stumble across the offer from Planet X .......

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLSPSH ... -road-bike

Whilst the bike itself with Ultegra and the Vision 35’s doesn’t look tremendous value (?), throwing in the set of the 55’s for free makes this look a great bargain in my eyes (not that I was looking to spend £1500+ on them...)

Anyone any thoughts on this? T’internet gives very little clues

OK - if you're desperate for a set of 55's buy the Holdsworth, keep the free 55's then sell off the frame, groupset and 35's as new unridden.

You might recoup £700 or 800 so your 55's would cost around £1000. Only you can decide if the hassle is worth it to save around £500.

Of course if n+1 applies then fill yer boots
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    If you are in the market for the wheels anyway, it seems to be a good deal. I'd see it as a free frame and a free set of training wheels.
    The wheels don't appear to be the lightest or the ones that are for sale in other outlets.
    I have a bike that came with a set of Vision Metron 40mm wheels, these are different than the Metron 40's that are available to retail. Mine are heavier (slightly) and a I understand they also have a different freehub. A very quick Google doesn't bring up anything on those wheels, the CH Special Edition. Had mine for over 2 years, used throughout two winters, the freehub seized (kept sticking), I was expecting a bill for a new hub, but Vision repaired for me for free, took less than a week from me dropping off at LBS to it being back on my bike - so very happy with the customer service.
    Frame wise, not sure I can get used to Holdsworth in carbon with those tube shapes. The Competition looks much nicer, and being honest I think it may be difficult to sell the Carbon Holdsworth frame, but you may do so and get it close enough to make purchasing the Competition frame as cost neutral.
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    w00dster wrote:
    If you are in the market for the wheels anyway, it seems to be a good deal. I'd see it as a free frame and a free set of training wheels.
    The wheels don't appear to be the lightest or the ones that are for sale in other outlets.
    I have a bike that came with a set of Vision Metron 40mm wheels, these are different than the Metron 40's that are available to retail. Mine are heavier (slightly) and a I understand they also have a different freehub. A very quick Google doesn't bring up anything on those wheels, the CH Special Edition. Had mine for over 2 years, used throughout two winters, the freehub seized (kept sticking), I was expecting a bill for a new hub, but Vision repaired for me for free, took less than a week from me dropping off at LBS to it being back on my bike - so very happy with the customer service.
    Frame wise, not sure I can get used to Holdsworth in carbon with those tube shapes. The Competition looks much nicer, and being honest I think it may be difficult to sell the Carbon Holdsworth frame, but you may do so and get it close enough to make purchasing the Competition frame as cost neutral.

Yeah woodster, it’s the competition frame I fancy at the end of the day, and if I can pick the grey one
    Up in my size I’ve no doubt it’ll be ordered and will become a ‘long term build project’.

The carbon one is growing on me now though, probably more so the black version rather than the Orange....

.....and I had been thinking next years race bike could be something new.

Does seem strange tho this ‘limited edition’ which sounds what you picked up on the Visions in the 40.
  • Yes, but given recent issues with planet x reneging on orders with free postage you could well be correct in thinking this is a scam for a bit of marketing
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.