Sore traps and neck

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited April 2019 in Road beginners
Hi

I noticed that my trapezium area and neck start to ache after an hour of cycling or more. Once I get off the bike the soreness goes away really fast.

When I cycle in a relaxed position which is most of the time. My arms are fully stretched and so are the traps because that is the only way I can touch the handlebar with my palms.

Anyway, I need some help in fixing this problem. I have been told that I might need to raise the handlebar higher because my traps are stretched for so long and it will allow the blood to flow better.

I don't know if this advice was good, I would like some advice from here too.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You make it sound like your bike's too big for you, or at least the reach is too great. When you're riding with your hands on the hoods you should be relaxed and have a slight bend in your arms.

A side-on photo of you on the bike might help.

Do you have scope to fit a shorter stem?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Laurynas wrote:
    Hi

I noticed that my trapezium area and neck start to ache after an hour of cycling or more. Once I get off the bike the soreness goes away really fast.

When I cycle in a relaxed position which is most of the time. My arms are fully stretched and so are the traps because that is the only way I can touch the handlebar with my palms.

You're not relaxed if the arms are at full stretch. Your bike is too big.

Did you ever sort the issue of your bike suddenly being 2mph slower than normal ?
  • I’ve had a similar issue over the years with different bikes. I’ve discovered that my physiology changes with time. With frames I once rode “flat and stretched” over long rides, (100 plus), I now have to to “trim” the bike set up to achieve the same comfort levels. I’m usually looking for a slightly more relaxed position. Edge the saddle rails forward a centimetre. Shorten stem length. I’ve dropped from 110 mm to 90mm. I’ve also increased handlebar width from 44 to 46. Double tape the bars.
    It all adds up to a more comfortable ride experience. This all depends on having the right frame size to begin with. Decent LBS should be first port of call for basic frame size, but figuring that to your personal requirements is all about you and trial and error.
    (wildcard here, but I find certain off the bike core exercises help with my back issues generally. I use Hatha Yoga)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    My previous bike was a 54 and my present one a 56. According to the manufacturer (Scott) my height put me on the cusp between the two sizes. But I experienced the same discomfort. Swapped the 110 stem for a 90 and happy days again.
  • I found my neck hurt when I bought my Trek bike,3 years a go,but after a couple months, the aches and pains went. Think it's just all about finding that new/ comfortable position
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I am having this issue to. Ive been off the bike for around 6 months with a lower back issue. Now I have got this to a manageable level. I have developed a pain in the neck.

Not sure if my pain is totally related - as its there even when I am not on the bike.

Seen a physio who reckons its due to tight traps -she loosened it with massage which helped greatly. I am getting by now with a self neck massage before cycling and another before bed. Pain is now down to a niggle.

Also done a few trap workouts in the gym with very light weights...seems to help.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Had a similar experience with a hire bike. Simply moved the seat forward and the pain went.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    kingrollo wrote:
    I am having this issue to. Ive been off the bike for around 6 months with a lower back issue. Now I have got this to a manageable level. I have developed a pain in the neck.

Not sure if my pain is totally related - as its there even when I am not on the bike.

Seen a physio who reckons its due to tight traps -she loosened it with massage which helped greatly. I am getting by now with a self neck massage before cycling and another before bed. Pain is now down to a niggle.

Also done a few trap workouts in the gym with very light weights...seems to help.

Lower back pain means that your handle bar is too low. I have disc hernia, that pain is always worry for me. Other than that a good saddle and a core strength exercise made wonders for me.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    YiannisM wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Lower back pain means that your handle bar is too low. I have disc hernia, that pain is always worry for me. Other than that a good saddle and a core strength exercise made wonders for me.

Probably not for me...I have an arthritic facet joint and have low back issues for many years...mostly its ok ...but had a major flare up last sept.

Yoga/pilates etc all helps ..and a good saddle and bike fit....brooks saddle for me..
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Might have too long reach, your hands should not over-extend to reach the hoods and should have a bend as mentioned.
    What stem size are you using? Try a shorter one, if it's not enough short-reach handlebars exist as well.

First you start with saddle height and fore aft though, if you are sure that it's right then you move to the handlebar area adjustment.

example:

ShJJ2w4.jpg