Greasy black chains

Stuart46
Stuart46 Posts: 26
edited July 2018 in Your road bikes
It is amazing how your chain can become black and greasy in just a short time, not sure where it comes from, but I think I have found the solution, using a mixture of 65% paraffin wax and 35% paraffin oil.
You have to remove the chain and degrease it, and then immerse in the melted mixture, remove drip dry, and replace on you bike.
I did this with my road bike a month ago, but with my MTB I just cleaned it and relubricated in the normal way.
My road bike I ride everyday, my MTB only a couple of times,
But my MTB chain is black and greasy, my road chain is not it still looks clean.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I just use Squirt. No oily chains.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    wrong forum..
  • Stuart46
    Stuart46 Posts: 26
    Oxoman. Yeah but they use grease which picks up dirt like crazy, paraffin wax repels it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Crazy thought - how about cleaning your chain. Would that solve the problem?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Crazy thought - how about cleaning your chain. Would that solve the problem?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Stuart46 wrote:
    Oxoman. Yeah but they use grease which picks up dirt like crazy, paraffin wax repels it.

A chain treatment that actively repels dirt?? You could patent that if you hadn't already come on here and divulged your commercially sensitive knowhow on a public forum...