Stealth axle replacement for rear axle

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a 142x12mm rear end.

Currently it has a 'Formula FQR-12E' quick release axle. It is M12xP1.5, length 152mm.

I want to replace it with a stealth version, due to me experiencing (for the first time ever in 7 years) the QR lever coming open on the trail the other day (I know it was tight, it must have caught on something).

Can anyone tell me what part I need please?

Thanks

Comments

• danlightbulb
    Additional info:

Whilst the axle itself has a length written on it of 152mm, I cannot for the life of me figure out what length this refers to.

Measuring it myself, the flange to end of thread is 167mm and the thread length is 20mm.
  • danlightbulb
    MEiIUi7.jpg
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Could 152mm be distance between drop outs measured from the outer faces?
    . Re axle coming undone, was the qr lever pointing backwards, like it should.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    02GF74 wrote:

Re axle coming undone, was the qr lever pointing backwards, like it should.

Good question!

I have always pointed the QR forward so that it rests between the seat and chain stays; ie front end tucked out of the way. So far, in ten years I have not picked up any foliage, yet!

To have it pointing rearward always looks weird to me, sticking out the back like it does, just waiting to be knocked.

Has anyone seen a manufacturer's recco?

What do the competition guys do? Or do they go for the bolted ones (ie no QR lever at all).
  • danlightbulb
    Bisecting the rear triangle as ive always had my rear QR. Pointing back looks exposed.

Ive ordered a stealth 170mm brand x thru axle from CRC for £12.99 so hopefully that fits nicely.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168

This is like the debate as to whether you need to clean your chain or not , no definitive answer.

As most catalogues show drive side, it is hard to see which way the skewers point. (the other debate is on which side should the skewer go)

I was told have them pointing back as they can not be undone when cycling forwards., which is 100% of my cycling.

Out of interest I searched the Web and generally the front points back or else at an angle in line with the fork.

The rear has been suggested to point forwards, reason given that in pack racing, the rider behind you cannot undo the skewer, which to be honest, if they have got that close, chances are a skewer pushed open is the least of your worries.

Since I ride mostly alone or when with mates we keep well apart, the above reasoning does not apply.

Also pointing back is said to be more aerodynamic.
  • steve_sordy
    02GF74 wrote:

Also pointing back is said to be more aerodynamic.

Not sure whether whoever said that was having a laugh or not.

At the speeds that mountain bikers go, whether the QR lever points forward or backward is completely irrelevant.

The single biggest factor in aerodynamics is frontal area. The next is length. Neither of these are affected by having the QR lever pointing forward or backward. Once you get down to sloping frontal faces or not, on such a small component, it is completely irrelevant.
  • danlightbulb
    Brand X stealth axle turned up. Fits nice. Probably could have got away with the 166mm one as I have 5mm protruding at the thread end on the 170mm one which makes no sense at all given my original one was 167mm. Not sure whether to return it for the slightly shorter one to get a flush look, or to keep this one which has some exposed thread.

I got the 170mm one because it wasn't clear from the site whether the length included the head of the bolt or not. Chat said it did, but they were wrong.
  • steve_sordy
    Brand X stealth axle turned up. Fits nice. Probably could have got away with the 166mm one as I have 5mm protruding at the thread end on the 170mm one which makes no sense at all given my original one was 167mm. Not sure whether to return it for the slightly shorter one to get a flush look, or to keep this one which has some exposed thread.

I got the 170mm one because it wasn't clear from the site whether the length included the head of the bolt or not. Chat said it did, but they were wrong.

If it bothers you, saw it off and round it off with a file. The bike won't know or care. But you will, so do it and be happy. :)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The first time a qr has come undone in 7 years and you immediately buy a different thru axle.
    Why didn't you just do it up again, making sure it was tightened properly and give it another chance? You could have saved the cost of the replacement thru axle.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • danlightbulb
    It was only £13 and i wanted a stealth at the rear anyway, as i dont need to remove the rear wheel often. This just gave me an excuse to action it sooner.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That's fair enough. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009