Thoughts on this...?

jlammy
jlammy Posts: 43
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking for some advice on whether this is a good deal, as I have an un-used £1000 cycle2work voucher.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-g ... sc-tiagra/

I'd have snapped this up immediately if it was 105 - how does the tiagra compare?

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    Very personal,

Bike looks good vfm to me, but If you need a 32 you probably don’t need an 11t, and for me neither of these would get much use. This is more relevant on a 10 speed, because you’re now down to 8 useful cogs and lose useful mid range small gaps. For me, on rolling terrain with a fair few hills, 12-27 is a much better 10 speed range (and only £30 to change cassette if you do it yourself). I’m no spring chicken and not super fit.

if you ever start hankering after 11 speed it would be a prohibitively expensive upgrade, as I think you’ve spotted already.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Tiagara crank is heavy compared to 105

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/210 ... himano-105
  • jlammy
    jlammy Posts: 43
    Thanks for this everyone. Still in two minds on this - might choose to go for a 2017 bike with 105 instead. Something like the Cannondale Synapse or CAAD12. But it could mean no disc brakes, which I'm also not too sure about!

Another concern I have is the resale value of the bike - they don't seem to fetch much. My employer 'gifts' us the bike after the 12 months, so ideally I'd like something with better resale value too.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Surely a bike is there to ridden, not to be sold on in a year or two? The reality is that any bike that's been ridden a lot for a year or two doesn't fetch much in the second hand market unless it's something relatively desirable and those kind of bikes are well out of your price range.
    You may end up crashing the thing anyway, then it's got sod all resale value no matter what it is.

Also decently maintained rim brakes are as good as disc brakes in the dry, it's only when it's wet that discs are superior.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    As soon as you take the bike out of the shop you've lost 50%.

I think you're overthinking things- there's no bad bikes at this price point. You could have had the bike for a month of sun in the time you've been umming and aahhing about them.

Rim vs disc - well the TdF riders are on both - so I'd not bother either way. If it's good enough for them...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It says Cycle Scheme not available... Is that the same as a Cycle to Work voucher??