Removing and re-installing dropper post

Kjaer
Kjaer Posts: 22
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone

I have a Nukeproof Scout with a brand x ascend 120 mm dropper. It has become a bit squishy after just a few rides so I'm a it skeptical about the reliability of it. I'm going on a multi-day bikepacking trip with it soon so I'm considering to switch to a normal seatpost for the trip, both because I don't trust the dropper and because I don't want to damage it further by mounting a drybag to the seat post.
Question is how difficult is it to remove and re-install the dropper after the trip?
The dropper is operated via an internal cable.
So should I remove the lever and cable or can I just leave it and remove the dropper post itself? And if i remove everything any suggestions on how to plug the hole in the frame?
I'm really a noob when it comes to dropper posts so hope you can help.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just disconnect the cable from the bottom of the dropper post.
    You will probably have to feed the cable though the frame to allow you to get the dropper out. If you’re lucky there will be enough slack if you turn the handlebars. If not then just take the actuating lever off.
    Leave the cable in situ when you fit a fixed seatpost so you can easily refit the dropper post after your trip.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Kjaer
    JBA wrote:
    Just disconnect the cable from the bottom of the dropper post.
    You will probably have to feed the cable though the frame to allow you to get the dropper out. If you’re lucky there will be enough slack if you turn the handlebars. If not then just take the actuating lever off.
    Leave the cable in situ when you fit a fixed seatpost so you can easily refit the dropper post after your trip.

Thanks for the answer!
    Sounds easy enough :D No risk of the loose cable ratling inside the frame?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It may rattle but it won't do any damage. If you are concerned then maybe wrap a bit of foam around the cable end.
    To disconnect the cable from the post you need to pull the outer to disengage it from the retainer it sits in and then simply twist it up and remove the barrel nut from the actuator. Do not undo the barrel nut and remove it from the inner.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Kjaer
    JBA wrote:
    It may rattle but it won't do any damage. If you are concerned then maybe wrap a bit of foam around the cable end.
    To disconnect the cable from the post you need to pull the outer to disengage it from the retainer it sits in and then simply twist it up and remove the barrel nut from the actuator. Do not undo the barrel nut and remove it from the inner.
    Thanks again! Foam seems like a good idea.
  • jameswheeler7102
    jameswheeler7102 Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    How to Install a Bike Seat? This is a super easy step, so you should know. I tried it and I hope you succeed too. First, you have to remove the old bike seat by lifting the upper clamp jaw to free the saddle rails. Then, clean the clamp to set the new saddle. Position the new saddle’s rails on the bottom clamp jaw’s channels. Ensure the seat’s front-end points to the handlebar and is in line with the bicycle frame. Insert the bolt through the bottom and top holes and tighten it with a wrench, turning clockwise. Determine the ideal bike seat height. Finally,  adjust and secure the saddle position to achieve optimum riding comfort.