Shimano Dura Ace DI2

Power02
Power02 Posts: 18
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Can anyone give feedback and opinion on Shimano Dura Ace DI2 9070 please.

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    It's very good. It's been superseded by 9150/9170. You're limited to a 28 largest cog at the rear (in reality, a 30) unless you use an Ultegra RD or change the cage. If you're buying second-hand, you need to be a little careful with versions - some of the bits don't work with the older batteries. eTap is easier to install. DA shifts a little better, and can be made to shift faster. Earlier DA cassettes weren't great - buy more recent ones, use Ultegra, or use SRAM.

What did you actually want to know?
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Surely just buy ultgra di2. Reckon even a pro wouldnt know the difference.
  • Can people please stop saying Ultegra is as good as DA. It isn't. Just stop.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Can people please stop saying Ultegra is as good as DA. It isn't. Just stop.

New Ultegra Di2 is as good as the new Dura Ace in operation. The only difference between them is the materials used saving weight for Dura Ace. Shimano themselves say so.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    philthy3 wrote:

New Ultegra Di2 is as good as the new Dura Ace in operation. The only difference between them is the materials used saving weight for Dura Ace. Shimano themselves say so.

I run 9070 on my nice bike and 8050 on my winter bike. Both perform identically well, the new DI2 has some bells and whistles which I’ve added to my 9070 (synchro shift which is nice). New shadow derauiler is a nice design as well. But ultimately ultegra (and really 105....) performs identically well to dura, what you get for the cash is less weight. Plus dura always looks nicer.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

in terms of mechs and switchgear it doesn't perform as well for as long.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philbar72 wrote:

in terms of mechs and switchgear it doesn't perform as well for as long.

Ultegra R8050/70/60 has not been out long so you can't possibly compare its longevity to Dura Ace yet. Shimano have switched on recognising that more people will be inclined to buy Ultegra as the "cheaper" option compared to Dura Ace and have made it operate in the exact same way with the penalty of heavier materials. I tend to think the longevity will be equally matched.

https://youtu.be/HbDROaZ2_Wo
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72
    sorry, yes, using historical data that's true. having had a dura ace crank literally completely fail under my legs, I'd say that some of the top end stuff doesn't last that long at all..
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Wasn't yours a PM issue?

Yes there are QA fails but functionally, DA and Ultegra are the same. If you insist on claiming a difference between the two, then di2 will be even less.
  • philbar72
    Wasn't yours a PM issue?

Yes there are QA fails but functionally, DA and Ultegra are the same. If you insist on claiming a difference between the two, then di2 will be even less.

the crank snapping is still shimano hardware, it wasn't the PM that caused it.... look on the internet at ultegra or dura ace crank failure and you get a lot of hits.

anyway this is a Di2 thread. sorry for confusing the issue.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I have two road bikes left in my n+1 scenario. One is Ultegra R8000 mechanical and the other is the latest di2. I am going to sell my Di2 TCR as simply just prefer mechanical gears and the feel on the road. Hard to explain. Not a luddite or a nimby but simply enjoy R8000 gearing more.