Lightweight Fernweg VS. Enve SES 7.8

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of buying deep and very light tubular wheels. I have a choice between these two. What do you think is better and why?

Thanks

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,660
    Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of buying deep and very light tubular wheels. I have a choice between these two. What do you think is better and why?

Thanks
    the enve is probably a more advanced rim profile but jeez get the lightweights it's a no brainer.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    You may get more success at Weight Weenies with this question.
    Those set of wheels are certainly beyond my price range! Also not sure I could ever bother with the hassle of tubulars to save a couple of hundred grams.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,116
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Those set of wheels are certainly beyond my price range! Also not sure I could ever bother with the hassle of tubulars to save a couple of hundred grams.
    yes, ww is better for this, from memory there are a few posters with them

bear in mind tubs aren't simply about saving weight, the ride is better than clinchers, and they are generally far safer under failure conditions

according to https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ the the fastest tyre is tubeless, followed by the tub version of the same model tyre (and if you put a tube in the tubeless, i.e. standard clincher, the tub has lowest rolling resistance of all)

that makes tubs lighter, plusher, safer, and faster

i can understand they're not for everyone, but for me a couple of hours every few months is hardly a hassle given the benefits, i've used them for a few years now, no way i'd go back to clinchers

on lw vs. enve...
    - the lw wheels will be stronger/stiffer than the enves
    - enve probably more advanced aero profile, and far wider, i.e. if you want to run wide tyres it's the enves
    - hubs are similar (lw are dts internally)
    - the lw is essentially one piece, enve is an assembly of parts, if damage occurs there's more prospect of repairing an enve (though rim damage will still be pretty terminal), lw offer an excellent crash replacement service as an extra

fwiw i'd also consider corima, bora ultra etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mtbrider123
    mtbrider123 Posts: 102
    sungod wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    yes, ww is better for this, from memory there are a few posters with them

bear in mind tubs aren't simply about saving weight, the ride is better than clinchers, and they are generally far safer under failure conditions

according to https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ the the fastest tyre is tubeless, followed by the tub version of the same model tyre (and if you put a tube in the tubeless, i.e. standard clincher, the tub has lowest rolling resistance of all)

that makes tubs lighter, plusher, safer, and faster

i can understand they're not for everyone, but for me a couple of hours every few months is hardly a hassle given the benefits, i've used them for a few years now, no way i'd go back to clinchers

on lw vs. enve...
    - the lw wheels will be stronger/stiffer than the enves
    - enve probably more advanced aero profile, and far wider, i.e. if you want to run wide tyres it's the enves
    - hubs are similar (lw are dts internally)
    - the lw is essentially one piece, enve is an assembly of parts, if damage occurs there's more prospect of repairing an enve (though rim damage will still be pretty terminal), lw offer an excellent crash replacement service as an extra

fwiw i'd also consider corima, bora ultra etc.

Thanks for such a description. I’m going to be using them for racing on flat courses. This is what I’m thinking: Enves are wide and therefore a 25mm will be a very aero combination as rim>tyre in terms of width. Lightweights are 20mm and I will have to run 22mm tubs, so rim<tyre in terms of width. Don’t really know about stiffness or how either of them will perform.
  • They'll probably perform similar to a set of cheap box section rims with a faster tyre.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,116
    of course they won't, that's an absurd statement
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Joe Totale wrote:

Tubs are no hassle whatsoever... jeez, read all the stressed out threadz about tubeless setups...
    Anyways.. if you have that budget, go for the lightweights... havent ENVEs become rather cliched by the trifallump set?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Having ridden wide rims for a while now, I wouldn’t go back to something narrow.

Wider tyre/less pressure = less rolling resistance, wider u shaped rim = more stability, wider tyre = better handling on the corners.

Enve make great wheels, I’ve a set of 4.5 I love, but you pay a hefty premium for the label, there are some interesting options at a chunk of change less now. LW are LW, you’re paying for the construction which creates stiffness and weight a st level above anyone else, but the aero tech is lagging current trends.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Lightweights and side winds are horrendous. They’ve tried to update the design, but it’s just not happening. They’re ‘vintage tech’.

If I was in your position I’d go Enve.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I have no knowledge you add other than lightweights are f****** cool.

One of our guides in Bormio a few years ago had lightweights with white spokes :D
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • sungod wrote:
    of course they won't, that's an absurd statement

Have you compared a set of Enve 4.5s with Vittoria Corsa tubulars, with a set of DT Swiss R460's with Vittoria Corsa Speed Tubeless?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    If you bin them in a race can you afford to replace them/insure them? Wheelsmith may be able to build you some Enve but Lightweight? They aren't repairable afaik.