Touring Bike Wheel Advice needed?

11.04 Architects
11.04 Architects Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in Tour & expedition
I am in the process of having a Condor Heritage Touring Bike built (26 inch wheels) and hoped to get views on wheels and tyre sizes, etc. The specification allows for Ryde Zac 2000 rims with a choice of 32 or 36 spokes, and tyre sizes of 1.5 or 1.75 inch. I understand the 36 spoke and 1.75 tyres will give greater strength when carrying loads on difficult terrain, however 50 weeks of the year I hope to enjoy the bike for fitness and general use and I would like opinions on the option of choosing lighter wheels and 1.5 tyres? Many thanks.
Chris Roche

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    The smaller the wheel, the fewer spokes you need, so a 26 inch with 32 is virtually the same as a 28 with 36.

With that in mind, 8 spokes only weigh 70 grams or so. More on wheels on my blog

https://whosatthewheel.com/2017/11/12/t ... -dynamics/

1.5 inch tyres are plenty... I would go for the size that allows you more choice of brand, thread type and price
    left the forum March 2023
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    I would go for the 36 spoke, you have already chosen the steel frame so are not into saving a couple of grams for a lightweight bike. For fitness and general use on the UK's pot holed roads 36 will be fine,
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Had you considered having 2 sets of wheels? One beefed up 36 spokes, dynohub, bigger & tougher tyres for loaded touring / winter miles, and a second, lighter set (wheels and tyres) for zipping about unladen in the summer?
  • This is the first time I have tested a posting - and all replies have been helpful. I will go with the stronger 36 spoke wheel and a 1.5 rather than 1.75 tyre. Many thanks this should eliminate knackered tyres and tired knackers.