Looking for brave testers to use my iOS app

Birdy83
Birdy83 Posts: 5
edited July 2018 in Road general
Hi,

I developed Jendela, it is an iOS app to replace expensive GPS stuff on my bike.
It is 100% free with no ads and supports Strava export. It is a hobby for me so there is no money involved only willingness to provide something useful to some riders.
I spent the last 6 months developing and testing it with some friends.

This app is targeting riders using Garmin 5x0 and above to track their rides.
It supports Bluetooth LE sensors (speed, cadence, HR and power meters).

I will be glad if some of you have some time and can have a look to Jendela as I have not done many tests using miles/feet.
Of course I am open to develop new features if needed and fix bugs.

http://jendela.fr/

Thanks in advance and enjoy riding!

Patrick

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,539
    Hi, it looks good.
    But I use a Garmin and have no need to have my phone on the bars.
    Good luck.
  • Birdy83
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Maybe once your Garmin die or when you will need bigger display.
    In my case I use an old iPhone 5s like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rDvMY-4SbInOzsrpoj7wi9AgE_VjSI8u/view?usp=sharing
    When you are getting old (like me!) it is good to have a device with big display.
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Hi, it looks good.
    But I use a Garmin and have no need to have my phone on the bars.
    Good luck.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Birdy83 wrote:
    In my case I use an old iPhone 5s like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rDvMY-4SbInOzsrpoj7wi9AgE_VjSI8u/view?usp=sharing
    When you are getting old (like me!) it is good to have a device with big display.

I think most people these days would prefer not using their phone as a cycling computer, but using a dedicated unit instead, mainly because of the risk of damage from a fall, exposing the phone to the elements, and battery life (especially on older phones).
    It's perhaps a good idea for those yet to dabble in dedicated cycling computers, but given I only have an iPhone 5, I'm out!
  • Birdy83
    Honestly I had the "chance" to fell with times and I can tell that Garmin devices are really flying!
    This is I think because of the Garmin mount.

I can not tell you today with the QuadLock but it looks more tight and I have seen pictures of iPhones still in place on their Quadlock support after a fall on motorbike.
    Regarding the battery, I have Garmin Edge Touring with a nearly dead battery and I dont know where I can change it.
    But I spent 25€ to change (in nearby shop) the battery of my old iPhone 5S and can use it on my bike.
    For the rain, I used the cover (called Poncho) of the QuadLock (I am only a happy user of Quadlock and not related to this company).
    Regarding the battery life while riding when using Jendela you can with a double tap finger make the screen darker/brighter which increases significantly the battery life for a ride.

Unfortunately iPhone 5 is not supported by Jendela because iOS11 is not available on it.

After that I agree that it is a matter of personal taste and choice.
    At the end legs are still the most important devices!

Birdy83 wrote:

I think most people these days would prefer not using their phone as a cycling computer, but using a dedicated unit instead, mainly because of the risk of damage from a fall, exposing the phone to the elements, and battery life (especially on older phones).
    It's perhaps a good idea for those yet to dabble in dedicated cycling computers, but given I only have an iPhone 5, I'm out!
  • Looks handy if you can't afford a Garmin etc and have an old smartphone, a bit like IPBike for Android phones I guess.
  • Birdy83
    Yes it seems a bit similar but Jendela supports only Bluetooth LE sensors. But there are quite a lot of BLE sensors available now and cheaper than Garmin Ant+ sensors.
    You can choose the position of the data on the screen before riding (or even while riding but probably not safe!)
    Also Jendela has a training screen where the color of the background changes based on the zone of activity (HR or Watts).
    So it is very easy to see when you are riding (and sweating) what you are doing. No need to read any number.

Personnaly I prefer to buy a refurbished iPhone 5s or iPhone 6s than a Garmin. It is cheaper, I can choose the app I want to use while riding and I can use it for others things (like calling people!).
    And my iPhone does not reboot in middle of a ride....

Looks handy if you can't afford a Garmin etc and have an old smartphone, a bit like IPBike for Android phones I guess.