Whole or in parts

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
I bought a Whyte T-130 a while ago and basically its just sat there gathering dust (well its had a cover on but you know what I mean) as injury/family mean I've had no chance to use in anger.

So going to sell it and trying to reduce the financial hit (as its was £2.5k).

So question is, is it worth more as a bike? or as parts?
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What year?
    If its pretty much a new bike its probably worth more whole unless its a top end model when the higher end forks etc may make it worth splitting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • superkenners
    superkenners Posts: 169
    its 2015 model i think, GX 1x11, yari fork, reverb dropper, boost 148
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Personally, as it's a whole, as stock bike, I'd sell it like that. If you had 'upgrades' on it I'd say take those off and sell then return the bike to it's standard spec. But as it's already like that just sell as it is.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    With a stock bike, people know what they are buying. They can look up reviews etc. They can also check sale prices on eBay to see what similar items have gone for (so can you). It is also the minimum hassle effort for you.

But it is a lot of money for someone to find in one go, so the number of potential customers is lower.

So if you dismantle the bike into frame+shock and all the rest, will you do any better? The key factor is that there are many more people looking for upgrades or replacement parts for their bikes. The downside is that you have to do the work, the upside is that you can give each component a really good clean and make it look its best. But the extra work is a lot. Every component has to have pics and descriptions. You have to know exactly what it is. It is not good enough to say that it is a crank off a Whyte T130, you have to be specific so that the punter knows exactly what they are buying and be confident that they are buying the correct component with their hard-earned, that it will fit their bike that is NOT a Whyte T130. With some stock components it is often difficult to say what it is. It might be a standard item from Raceface with the branding removed, or it might be a Whyte own brand item.

On balance, as the bike is relatively new, and if it is in really great condition, then I'd sell it in one piece. Try all your friends and contacts first before anonymous sale sites. Someone who knows you and has confidence in you is more likely to pay top price because they know exactly what they are getting (and they know where you live!).
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You need to specify the model and year as well.
    “It’s a 2015 model, I think” is no good.
    Is it a T-130 S, a T-130 SX, T-130 Works, etc?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009