Headset bearings

dries76
dries76 Posts: 8
edited July 2018 in Workshop
I'm a newbie here, so go easy :wink:
I've got an aluminium 2012 Cannondale Synapse and have recently tried to get my head around doing servicing myself.
There is some play in the headset and having removed the fork, I can see the bottom bearing is basically broken up. The inner ring is stuck to the steerer and the rest came off in one piece. I've put it back together for the time being, but obviously need to fix it.
I emailed Cannondale to ask for the bearing spec, but they rather unhelpfully replied I should take it to the shop.
I can see this website lists a complete headset kit, but won't sell me just the bearings: https://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannon ... il/3-40228
So I have 2 questions:
- do I really need an entire headset kit, if not, does anybody know what the bearings spec should be?
- the inner bearing ring seemed pretty solidly bonded to the steerer (carbon fork, alu steerer), I didn't try too hard to loosen it up as I wanted to get back on the road, but does anybody have any tips for removing this safely?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    dries76 wrote:
    I'm a newbie here, so go easy :wink:
    I've got an aluminium 2012 Cannondale Synapse and have recently tried to get my head around doing servicing myself.
    There is some play in the headset and having removed the fork, I can see the bottom bearing is basically broken up. The inner ring is stuck to the steerer and the rest came off in one piece. I've put it back together for the time being, but obviously need to fix it.
    I emailed Cannondale to ask for the bearing spec, but they rather unhelpfully replied I should take it to the shop.
    I can see this website lists a complete headset kit, but won't sell me just the bearings: https://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannon ... il/3-40228
    So I have 2 questions:
    - do I really need an entire headset kit, if not, does anybody know what the bearings spec should be?
    - the inner bearing ring seemed pretty solidly bonded to the steerer (carbon fork, alu steerer), I didn't try too hard to loosen it up as I wanted to get back on the road, but does anybody have any tips for removing this safely?

Thanks in advance!

Id buy the whole thing, its almost the same price as the bearings on their own and youll be able to replace the fork race. Plus youll have the washers, if the old one has been on for 6 years your bike will thank you.
  • dries76
    dries76 Posts: 8
    Thanks for the advice, I'll get the kit.

Any suggestions for removing the stuck ring? Loads of soaking in wd40 and a flat screwdriver?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    dries76 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll get the kit.

Any suggestions for removing the stuck ring? Loads of soaking in wd40 and a flat screwdriver?

lol that works. If i remember rightly i bought a tool for removing bearings on a shaft from halfords for about a fiver years ago. The screwdriver works well.