3 to 4 consecutive clicks from the back when I put my foot down

phillipnasher
phillipnasher Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

I've just recently changed my gearing system on my downhill bike (Specialized status 2 2013) and I've gone through all of the steps to insure everything I've done is correct. My chain line is 55mm, the b tension screw has been adjusted so that my mech (shimano zee m640) is close to the biggest cog with around 3mm gap. It shifts totally fine and I've put on plenty of lube.

The problem is certainly somewhere around the mech / cassette around but I cannot replicate this issue when my bike is in the stand.

I have recently shortened my chain too and I still have the problem (I wasn't too sure if it was too short in the beginning). Could it be that when I put my foot down and my rear suspension compresses, there isn't enough chain which could be causing it? I have bought a new chain and I will try and fit this at the weekend.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    My bet is that on that bike there is a huge amount of extension when the suspension compresses.

As a test, let all the air out of your shock and then lean on the saddle. if the chain is long enough you should be able to fully compress the shock while the chain is in the biggest gear at the back. If not, your chain is too short and if you rode anything rough you risk ripping the mech clean off the bike!
  • Ok thanks for this. The shock I have is an fox rc shock and you cannot let the air out as far as I'm aware.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can’t, unbolt one end and then compress the suspension
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Or get a really heavy mate to lean on the saddle.

But Rookie's suggestion is probably more reliable. :)