How much difference does an aero frame REALLY make?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
OK, I know this is an oft-mentioned topic, but I never see any convincing evidence about it one way of the other.

Cannondale's claims for their new aero frame from the BR article:

"For example, it says that a 75kg rider riding at 300w saves 30w of effort on the SystemSix over the Evo".

"Barry says: 'If you're riding along at 30kph/18mph on a flat road the SystemSix saves 10 percent of your power,' "

These figures to me seem completely incredible and utterly at odds with oft-stated real world experience, where wheels count for more than the frame, the effect of those is pretty minimal, and of course tiny changes in position count for much more than both. 10% of my power represents the difference between being fit and unfit. Yet these figures claim to be based on exacting, quantified analyses of drag. Is it all just total bollox?

Hoping that someone with some genuine expertise and no marketing axe to grind will step in and offer reliably quantified advice.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's absolute BS. Can you imagine a bike needing 10% less power ? Sky would be using them with pinarello liquid papered on the down tube.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I thought these claims are for the whole system including the wheels, frame, bars and stem and not just the frame?

But yeah, the numbers are probably too good to be true and we don't just ride in wind tunnels.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    With careful control of conditions and rider, the aero is a big advantage, in every day conditions, in the real world, not as much as some would have you believe. The aero advantage of a proper aero bike, can be made quite large ( you expend a goood 80 percent of your efforts riding a bike, moving air out of the way) but you do need to have other things in place to take full advantage of the savings on offer.
  • cougie
    Of that 80% of your effort I'd imagine the lump of human must be something like 75% of the 80% ?
  • neeb
    Ha ha, just googled and noticed/remembered that I asked a rather similar question just over a year ago.. getting senile.. ;-)
    viewtopic.php?t=13078453
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    If the rider is set up in exactly the same position then an aero frame makes little difference. If you're talking a non-aero bike setup VS a full aero road setup then there's a noticeable difference when bombing along at speed for sure, otherwise we'd all be riding round tubed steel framed bikes with box section wheels.

But it's mostly just marketing BS, they gotta sell new bikes somehow! :wink:
  • cougie
    Looking at the new bike - it looks pretty identical to most aero frames. I can't see anything earth shattering on it.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    The Cannondale white paper is out there with all the test criteria and details.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Same claims repeated in this as they are reading the same info, he does make an interesting point that for most people the weight sacrifice is worth it as you'll make up any time you lost on climbs on the flats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-GhJ3zIPCw
  • Makes no difference when Mr Sportive Rider buys one and immediately cable ties a very non-aero numberplate to the bars
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Makes no difference when Mr Sportive Rider buys one and immediately cable ties a very non-aero numberplate to the bars

Or presumably puts 10cm of spacers under the stem?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    cougie wrote:
    Looking at the new bike - it looks pretty identical to most aero frames. I can't see anything earth shattering on it.

Looks very different to me. Obviously, there is a limit to how different given it has to fit within UCI rules but it looks like there has been a lot of thought put in to that bike.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    FWIW, ia few years ag, in my first year of TTing and training with a proper coach (Xavier Disley @ RST/Aerocoach) I made a CdA drop equivalent to 30W of drag saving by optimising my full aero compliment of wheels, helmet, skinsuit, position and bike.

to put this in perspective - this was basef on a FTP of 300W, so an equivalent of 10% power improvement based on drag savings, plus i made 30W of FTP improvement by training.

I ride a Di2 P5-3 with HED Stingers, so pretty much one of the fasted UCI legal set-ups around :)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    neeb wrote:
    completely incredible and utterly at odds with oft-stated real world experience

How often do you push 300W, or, for that matter, 200W o descents? Also, aren't you conveniently omitting the bit where they state these measurements are for full system with newly designed wheels.
  • neeb
    moonshine wrote:
    FWIW, ia few years ag, in my first year of TTing and training with a proper coach (Xavier Disley @ RST/Aerocoach) I made a CdA drop equivalent to 30W of drag saving by optimising my full aero compliment of wheels, helmet, skinsuit, position and bike.

to put this in perspective - this was basef on a FTP of 300W, so an equivalent of 10% power improvement based on drag savings, plus i made 30W of FTP improvement by training.

I ride a Di2 P5-3 with HED Stingers, so pretty much one of the fasted UCI legal set-ups around :)
    Were those 30w of savings as compared to a non-aero setup, or to a previous aero (but non-optimised) setup?
  • neeb
    mamil314 wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    completely incredible and utterly at odds with oft-stated real world experience

How often do you push 300W, or, for that matter, 200W o descents? Also, aren't you conveniently omitting the bit where they state these measurements are for full system with newly designed wheels.
    Well, I think if anyone is “conveniently omitting” it’s Cannondale.. :-) :-) What are they comparing this full system against? (what wheels etc).

As far as watts on a descent goes it would depend on the gradient - I’m a relatively cautious descender but at 5% (as used in the comparison) I might put out between 200 and 300w for brief stretches on straight bits.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    They compare to top spec/lightest Supersix Evo
  • neeb
    mamil314 wrote:
    They compare to top spec/lightest Supersix Evo
    With what wheels though? These will make more difference than the frame.
  • moonshine wrote:
    so an equivalent of 10% power improvement based on drag savings,

WHS

Frame, wheels, aero socks, wheels, tires, helmets, skin suits
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • neeb
    moonshine wrote:
    so an equivalent of 10% power improvement based on drag savings,

WHS

Frame, wheels, aero socks, wheels, tires, helmets, skin suits
    AAMOI though moonshine, was that 10% compared to a non-aero setup or to a non-optimised aero setup?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    edited July 2018
    neeb wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

Were those 30w of savings as compared to a non-aero setup, or to a previous aero (but non-optimised) setup?
    from a pretty aero, but non-optimised setup ,I was previously riding a Ridley Dean with manual Dura ace, HED jet 6 wheels with custom Raltech disk cover, etc, so not a shabby starting place.

I ended up with a 19:46 '10 on the V718 off 316W AP and a CdA of 0.1904 iirc.. and plenty very short 20''s elsewhere, so reasonably handy. :D
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Think it’s interesting to see where the manufacturers are going, it’s all totally integrated systems now. And I can see that a totally integrated wheel/tyre/fork/frame, all designed to work seemlessly together, could give a significant edge over seperate components which someone has put together. Be interesting to see how much of the aftermarket component world gets eaten by this trend, if I was an Enve or Zipp I’d be looking nervous at the moment.

Re a frame by itself, I don’t think it makes a huge difference. I’ve an r5, to that I’ve fitted an aero bar and deep section wheels. I figure that plus a good position are giving most of the goodness. But rationally I’d expect a complete system to be a step change.