Torn between three bikes?

rebnah
rebnah Posts: 18
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi people
Please could you give me some help as im torn between three bikes but i can only afford one.
One of them is running 2x XTR M9000 and the other is running 1x SRAM Eagle x01 and the third XT M8000

I never had a 2x before but i see the first bike as good value for all the spec or be it new XTR will be launched soon.

First one
Scott scale 700 XTR 2017

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... 17-p314417

Second one
Scott scale RC World Cup 2017

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... CkQAvD_BwE

Always run 1x and get along fine with it but not to keen on the Forks on this bike?

There is a third and cheaper option????

Scott Scale RC PRO 2017

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... GkQAvD_BwE

Lower spec than the other two but i would save a good £££s

What are your thoughts if it was you having to choose from one of these?

Thanks people

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Pick the one on which you can do the sickest wheely
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    These are very much XC bikes. If that’s what you need, perfect, but wanted to check first?! :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • rebnah
    Hi Jamski
    Sure thats what im after but not sure on what one lol?
  • jamski
    I'd be going for the middle one. Can't confess to knowing much about XC bikes, or the SID forks, but having a quick look on the Sram website there's nothing alarming there, I've personally always got on fine with Rock Shox. The 12 speed Eagle wins it for me.
  • rebnah
    Me two but i wasn't sure if the OX Eagle wins over the 2x XTR?
  • jamski
    rebnah wrote:
    Me two but i wasn't sure if the OX Eagle wins over the 2x XTR?

Any Eagle would win over 2x imo.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Like many of us, I came from 3x and when I went 2x I thought it was brilliant. I could see the attraction of 1x but I could not make the leap because of the reduced range of gearing.

Then came Eagle 1x12 with its 5:1 range. Sold! :D
  • rebnah
    Fair enough. Looks like im leaning towards the world cup then at the moment.
  • rebnah
    Are those Rockshox ok the SID RL?
    Ive owned the FOX factory step cast before but never Rockshox
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes the RL (entry model of the SID range) RL stands for Rebound and Lockout as that is the damping fitted.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    So I need to ask a question, what kind of riding are you going to be doing with this bike that you think will require a suspension bike?

Are you racing offroad?

Are you doing highly technical high speed downhill mountain trail riding?

If you answered no to both of those then you don't need the two expensive ones, in fact I dare say you don't even need the cheaper one either! WHAT you scream! Suspension bikes are only good if you're going to be doing one of the two things I listed above, in fact I seriously believe you would be better off with a fat tire bike and no suspension if you answered no to my questions. Plus a fat tire bike can travel over softer surfaces than a MTB can, and due to the fat tires using only 8 to 15 pounds of PSI while off road they absorb impacts quite well and just swallow ruts without the need for shocks. Lower pressures of 8 to 10 is for sandy or mud type conditions, 12 to 15 is for offroad use but not loose stuff, and you can put 20 to 25 psi for paved surfaces.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    B0ll0cks ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rebnah
    All I asked was an opinion on the three bikes just to see experienced opinions.
    Does it matter how or what I use it for really?
    I also had a fat bike over a year ago and felt like a clown on it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don’t worry, froze is a bellend to everyone, we try not to feed him.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    rebnah wrote:
    All I asked was an opinion on the three bikes just to see experienced opinions.
    Does it matter how or what I use it for really?

It does matter what you are going to use it for. To take an extreme example, I doubt you'd get many reccos for any of them if you wanted to do uplifts and DH the whole time. if you were wanting to race, then speed comes first, second and third, comfort last. Unless of course you were into long distance or 24 hour events. If you had mountains to climb, then I for one would be asking about the range of gears that you believe you need.

We need some info, or we may as well guess, or choose the bike WE as individuals would like. :)
  • jamski
    The very first question I asked is does he want an XC bike, as those are all very XC orientated. The OP stated that's what he was after, so that's that isn't it? I can't personally offer suggestions of other bikes, as they're very different to what I ride and look out for, but I can loot at the three and offer an opinion, which I have.

And as Rookie said, Froze is talking rubbish!
  • rebnah
    Yes thats right im specifically for a XC Scott Scale.
  • rebnah
    Ok
    So I’ve bit the bullet and gone for the scale RC 700 World Cup. I’ve also ordered some new FOX stepcast forks.
    So the RockShox will go up for sale.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Out of interest, why are you going to the expense of changing the forks before you have tried the SIDs?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rebnah
    I’ve never really liked Rock shox forks and have always preferred Fox forks.
    Ever since Fox introduced the step cast factory I’ve alway used them.

Its a bit like I've always preferred SRAM drivetrains but Shimano XTR brakes? Just a personal thing.