Charity Bike Ride and Newbie

shaftonmatt
shaftonmatt Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
Totally new to Bikeradar having owned a road bike for 3 years but have taken it more seriously over the last 12 months.

Each year I do something for MacMillan and this year I decided to have a year off until I learned my uncle had being diagnosed with cancer which could be treated but not cured, so it wet my appetite to do something and after a couple of beers I decided to cycle from Barnsley (old home) to Ipswich where I have recently moved to.

The ride is only 3 weeks or so away and I’m planning to cover the ride over two days and aiming for a maximum of 12 hrs saddle time over the two days with a stop off halfway around Boston, Lincs. As it’s getting closer I am starting to panic that I’ve not prepared as well as I could have and so I’m looking for any advice. I have a good idea of the route I need to take but is there any thing available to plan routes which keep you on the roads but away from the dual carriageways?

Also I am planning to drop a small bag off at the hotel o have booked with overnight essentials and nutritional products for the day 2 but also kid of reluctant to take too much as I’m not wanting to cycle with a rucksack as I’m guessing it’s going to be tough enough on day 2.

I am planning on taking the following on the ride with me, any other suggestions pls?
- 2 spare innertubes, puncture repair, tools and pump
- 2 water bottles with isotonic tablets
- energy gels
- sugary sweets such as jellied snakes etc
- money

Lastly I’m considering getting some new tires and currently running 23’s but been told to go to 25’s, would you recommend and are there any decent ones out there that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks all and hoping to become a regular contributor

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I wouldn't go massive upping the mileage with ride 3 weeks away - I week of which should be spent mostly resting to make sure you are fresh for the ride. You are where you are. Just get time in the saddle - and consider what you will use for fuel on the ride.

Would avoid a rucksack - get a large saddle bag or some panniers.

Plenty of good 25c tyres around - gatorskins are probably a good one to avoid punctures - not sure I would be swapping so close to a big ride though.

Good Luck.
  • Pooter
    Pooter Posts: 68
    http://cycle.travel/

This site looks useful for quiet-roads route planning. If I were you I'd avoid A, and even B roads, where ever possible. Quiet country lanes will be much more enjoyable and safer.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If you use a relatively small amount of stuff at the overnight, you may be able to post it back home. Get a postage paid box from your local post office, and check that the hotel will be able to put it in the post for you if you set off before the shops open on day 2.

I think Ryman's and WH Smith have pre-paid boxes for other carriers.