Axle Swap

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Genesis Longitude, and I'm finding it quite a struggle removing the rear wheel, due to the horizontal dropouts. I've already looked at a few Youtube videos, which make it look really easy, but I find the cassette sticks on the rear mech even when it's on the smallest cog.

So...... I had an idea. I have Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs on another wheelset. Buy a different set of end caps and some sort of bolt thru axle (currently set up as 135mm QR) and get them built into the rims on the Genesis, so they'll just drop out when the axle is removed.

Trouble is, I'm not sure what axles/end caps might be compatible with QR dropouts - if any.
Genesis rear axle is 135mm and looks like 10mm diameter in the dropout

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    edited June 2018
    . .
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Find one of these: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/hubs-rws/rws/10-mm/

Then buy 135x10mm end caps for your Hope hubs. I've not tried this, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing on one of my bikes.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    whyamihere wrote:

Then buy 135x10mm end caps for your Hope hubs. I've not tried this, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing on one of my bikes.

I've done that on a couple of 135mmbikes with hope pro evo 2 wheels. Works very well.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What rear mech have you got?
    If it has a clutch are you turning it off when removing the wheel?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • andy9964
    shindig wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

I've done that on a couple of 135mmbikes with hope pro evo 2 wheels. Works very well.
    Well that's good news, cheers
    JBA wrote:
    What rear mech have you got?
    If it has a clutch are you turning it off when removing the wheel?
    It's a Shimano M6000, and yes it has a clutch. I'll give it a go with it switched off (never entered my mind), thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Flick the clutch off and you will be able to easily swing the mech back out of the way to remove and replace the rear wheel.
    Remember to switch the clutch back on for riding.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • andy9964
    I'll try that tomorrow, cheers