Bought new steer/headset bearings don't fit.

TrackRoadster
TrackRoadster Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Workshop
My steering became noisy after many years and I decided to buy new headset bearings to remedy this problem. I have novice experience with servicing bikes and only started since a year while having done a dozen fixes. It's a fun thing to do as long as things go successful that is.

This time I failed. I did some research to change my headset bearings for a first time ever and the following site verified my findings.

It's this site > https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

I have a trek alpha 1.1 frame. These apparently according to the above website exist in editions 2013 to 2016.
All these editions according to this website have the same size headset bearings which is IS 41/28.6.

I bought the BBB BHP-41 which has size IS 41/28.6. But when I unpacked it having verified it is the correct headset on the package and the receipt it seems it doesn't fit. It's to wide, in fact, the bearing that should fit into the frame is as wide as the frame itself.

I also verified the sizes using calipers or so I think. I meassure 41.5 or anywhere in between the middle of 41 or 42mm when I meassure the top headset tube as instructed by videos on youtube.

The bearing I bought doesn't fit into the tube so by all means it should be smaller which confuses me even more as I measure over 41mm not below it.

I made some pictures, the 1st one so we can all agree what bike it is.

pBDpdZp.jpg

On the next picture you see I cleaned the inside. I used a caliper to measure the diameter of the headset tube at the top seen on the following picture. This measures 41.5mm exact. That or it's either 41.4 or 41.6 but that it is.

pYzaDMN.jpg

On the following picture I try to fit the bearing...

ilmnffJ.jpg

When I try to fit the bearing into the tube it fits on the headset tube not in the headset tube.

This stuff is really confusing for me. Not for you people I hope.

To me this is very weird, you measure 41mm, a site then says it has a certain bearing size which corresponds with your measurement, then the product you buy is labeled with a corresponding size but when you buy that product it doesn't fit. The size of that product is the same size as the diameter of the tube, which is logical but it doesn't say which size bearing then fits into the tube.
For someone new to this it's absolutely not understandable. Can somebody make me understand this stuff I'm usually not that hard to learn but this time I'm struck

edit: more importantly, the bearing I took out were loose rings and a compression ring. I didn't take out the bearing as a whole is I bought it.

Here's a picture what I took from my headset tube. I can't find the original compression ring so the new clean one is on the photo to show all the parts I took of my bike. It's like I got a completely different kind of bearing.

LSytgN8.jpg

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Where are the old sealed bearings?
  • jgsi
  • JGSI wrote:
    Where are the old sealed bearings?

I didn't had such a thing.

That's the point I think why I had bad steering and why I decided to change my bearings. This bike is 2nd hand and it might be improperly serviced, the parts on the picture is all that's inside the cup. I'm not sure if this is normal. I started pulling the old bearing out after I got the new one because I thought I bought what I needed.
    JGSI wrote:

I have read about SHIS, that page learned me more.
    But there isn't any example on that website that corresponds with what I see in my tube or cup rather.

What I also just found out is a code written on the outside of of my tube where the fork goes in. It says VP-A77CK3. I never noticed it because it's kind of hidden between the front frame and the tube near the bottom.
    What I also just noticed is that where this code is written seems a seperate part and might not be my frame. I always thought it is my frame but it seems it is some kind of cup holder that is within the tub but attached by a mechanism that I can't figure out for myself.

Again, I made a picture to show what I mean...

Y5EF46g.jpg

When I search that code I get a site en espanol on the first google search selling headset components. At the product page nothing is shown close to the sealed bearing I have ordered (the BBB BHP-41)

So is the VP-A77CK3 what I should buy? And if true, then what kind of headset are we talking here? How do I remove that cup holder that is part of the VP-A77CK3 assembly set? I think it's nothing really modern if it isn't mentioned on any site i've read so far.
  • jgsi
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    What you have there is a traditional external cup headset, it looks to be for a 1 1/8" straight steerer. You knock the old cups (the bits with VP-A77CK3 printed on them) out with a drift, and then press in new cups where the bearings sit.

The bad news is that what you've bought won't fit. The good news is that replacements are cheap and easily available. For example, this has sealed bearings and should last many years for £13. These things can be fitted using a block of wood and a hammer, but the correct way to fit them is with a headset press. It probably wouldn't be the worst idea to take it to a bike shop, to both confirm the size required and to fit the new one properly.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Headset Standards can be more confusing than B.B. standards. I’ve ordered the wrong ones, for the wrong bikes before now, but fortunately I’ve got loads of bikes with all sorts of different head tube / steerer combos, and mixing and matching usually spares any blushes.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You could just get new balls and fit them in the old retainer. I've come across a few headsets with sealed, cartridge bearings that came apart to reveal a composite retainer with balls which could be put back together and worked fine. As long as the races are in good condition of course.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    What you have there is a traditional external cup headset, it looks to be for a 1 1/8" straight steerer. You knock the old cups (the bits with VP-A77CK3 printed on them) out with a drift, and then press in new cups where the bearings sit.

The bad news is that what you've bought won't fit. The good news is that replacements are cheap and easily available. For example, this has sealed bearings and should last many years for £13. These things can be fitted using a block of wood and a hammer, but the correct way to fit them is with a headset press. It probably wouldn't be the worst idea to take it to a bike shop, to both confirm the size required and to fit the new one properly.

Yes!

The external cup looks almost part of the frame, it's hard to see it's seperate as it almost seems molded to the frame. Only after seeing that photo I made to reveal the color difference and the ledge inside the headset tube did I realized it's a external cup. I may not have chosen the most professional of approaches but I used a flat head screw driver and a hammer and they came out nicely.

Then I meassured the inner tube diameter, fork tube diameter and used these numbers on the canecreek site I posted earlier and I get a SHIS "EC34 28.6 EC34 30"
    I'm a little angry though about the canecreek site. Using that site by filling in "Trek Alpha 1.1" apparently reveals that these bike frames have IS 41 bearing fittings while this isn't the case on my frame. Is that a site error?

I didn't bought that cheap headset bearing you linked because they weren't readily available over here and I want fast shipment, I bought this one instead Cane Creek 10 headset bearing EC34/28.6
    That's still cheaper then the integrated headset I just bought.
    Now I still need a threaded rod, some rings and nuts for a mechanism to press them in the frame so I'm off to the local hardware store on tuesday.

Luckily I'm not the only one that's confused by this although I'm pretty sure I will not make this mistake again.