Upgrading my 6 spd 28T to 34T

srnsuki
srnsuki Posts: 8
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I know I've already asked this but I would like to get some help on what tools would I need as I'm a total noob.

I could go to a bike shop but I really want to do it myself, I don't think it's a very difficult task if I know what tools/materials to use.

https://tinyurl.com/y84qstz2

This is the freewheel I'm going to swap for the current one.

I know that I need a specific tool for freewheels (the FR-1.3 for this one) and of course a socket to take off the rear wheel.

https://m.imgur.com/a/9dLfmem (This is my current freewheel and crank)

So my questions are:

1. Can I safely take off the wheel without messing out things?

2. Just looking from the pic, can you tell me whether the fr-1 will work with my older freewheel?

3. Will I need a longer chain? If so which one?

4. Will I need anything more?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1) Only you can answer that ;-) You need to reinstall the wheel centrally and ensure the brakes operate correctly.

2) Cannot be certain. There are different types of spline - I'd be surprised if it didn't fit, but do not force it.

3) Maybe. Depends how long your old one is. And how worn - a 'stretched' chain may slip over your new freewheel cluster. A new chain then may skip over worn chainrings. And in addition your existing derailer may not have the ability to handle the 34t sprocket. In my experience that Tourney derailer struggles to clear a 34t.

It's not difficult as such, just a lot to be aware of.
  • srnsuki
    3) Will I need I new one? If so how do I know which one I will need? Thank god I asked this forum before touching anything. Should I just go to a bike shop instead?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No one can answer your questions without trying. So a bike shop is never a bad idea.there are uncertainties here that require a mechanic to look at your bike. You are not a mechanic by the questions your asking do speak to one in person.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    edited June 2018
    srnsuki wrote:
    3) Will I need I new one? If so how do I know which one I will need? Thank god I asked this forum before touching anything. Should I just go to a bike shop instead?

It’s always a good idea to change the chain if you are swapping out an old cassette or freewheel, for the reasons given by supersonic. New chain will have extra links anyway, so you may as well add them there. You have 4 more teeth on big sprocket, so you need 2 extra link pairs (assuming old one was right). Any speed matched chain will work, and easy to fit. You will need a tool to take links out though.

Edit: 34-28 = 6 more teeth, so 3 extra link pairs.

Ability of the derailleur to cope may be the decider, new derailleur is cheap but costs are adding up.

None of the bits are difficult, and lots of online guides. I’d do it myself because I enjoy the challenge and have loads of bikes and bits in the garage to swap around.
    If you have bike shop do it the parts plus labour may add up to more than a replacement secondhand bike (although that might need bits too).
  • srnsuki
    Thanks so much for the response, I think I'm going to take it to a shop. I don't have the necessary tools to change all the stuff, it's definitely going to cost me more if I do it myself.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's only an upgrade if you need the 34t sprocket.

I'd probably take it in if you haven't the tools. It'd be cheaper that way.

Buy tools if you're in it for the long run.